Community discussions

MikroTik App

bulat
Topic Author

PPTP and Multi WAN

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:41 am

Hello,

I am trying to configure my router with Multi WAN PCC Load Balancing .
My ISP connections requires PPTP authentication.

I know how to configure the PPTP-client connection in Winbox, but I do not know how to do this for three WAN connections.
How to link wan1-PPTP-client to WAN1 and how to connect wan2-PPTP-client to WAN2 and so on.

Another question is how to configure NAT.
Should I configure masquerading for WAN or PPTP-based interface?

Thank you in advance
Last edited by bulat on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bulat
Topic Author

Re: PPTP and Multi WAN

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:41 pm

anybody?

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi,

I think it does not matter what type of Connection to ISP you have...

Follow this instractions:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC

Just modify them acording to your PPTP Client interfaces..

Remeber to Mark packets..

I have done such setups on DSL and fiber connections and it works like a charm..

bulat
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi,

I think it does not matter what type of Connection to ISP you have...

Follow this instractions:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC

Just modify them acording to your PPTP Client interfaces..

Remeber to Mark packets..

I have done such setups on DSL and fiber connections and it works like a charm..
I have 3 WAN Ethernet ports and 3 PPTP clients, how PPTP client interface connect to the correct WAN-interface?
How to configure PPTP-client to connect to a specific Ethernet port?

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 pm

I have 3 WAN Ethernet ports and 3 PPTP clients, how PPTP client interface connect to the correct WAN-interface?
PPTP-Client uses an address to connect back to the PPTP-Server. You could set in your routes to route traffic to a certain IP from a certain interface.
/ip route
add dst-address=1.1.1.1 gateway=2.2.2.2%ether1 distance=1 disabled=no
It might work. Im not sure.

bulat
Topic Author

PPTP and Multi WAN

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm

PPTP-Client uses an address to connect back to the PPTP-Server. You could set in your routes to route traffic to a certain IP from a certain interface.
/ip route
add dst-address=1.1.1.1 gateway=2.2.2.2%ether1 distance=1 disabled=no
It might work. Im not sure.
I have 2 uplinks from same ISP1 and one uplink from another ISP2. I don't have static ip addresses.
Last edited by bulat on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:13 pm

How often does you gateway change?

bulat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 am

How often does you gateway change?
I'm not sure about that. In any case, I have two uplink from the same ISP.

bulat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:53 am

It would be very nice to hear some thoughts from Mikrotik and the forum gurus.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:28 am

Look - honest opinion here. Just mine, no one else's. I sincerely hope someone else picks you up and sees it through. You seem like a nice guy.

You're asking for way too much. You want people to explain things to you bit by bit. Personally I don't do that. I'll only help people that have specific questions that show they've done their homework. There's only so much time in my day, I'm very lucky my work allows me to post here a lot. I'd rather spread it around than focus on one guy. I'll post a link. If you read it and come back with specific questions that show you read it, tried to understand it and are just clarifying, or even better come back with configuration and debug output asking why something didn't work we can slowly take it from there. But I ain't looking for a project.

Mikrotik isn't in the business of helping a user that doesn't know even the basics see through a home installation. If they were they'd have to charge a HECK of a lot more than they do, or charge you for support contracts.

RouterOS is awesome. It's very powerful, and let's you do lots of wonderful and complicated things with elegance and ease. It's also kinda hard, especially for beginners. Those two go together, they're intertwined. So it goes.

bulat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:13 am

Look - honest opinion here. Just mine, no one else's. I sincerely hope someone else picks you up and sees it through. You seem like a nice guy.

You're asking for way too much. You want people to explain things to you bit by bit. Personally I don't do that. I'll only help people that have specific questions that show they've done their homework. There's only so much time in my day, I'm very lucky my work allows me to post here a lot. I'd rather spread it around than focus on one guy. I'll post a link. If you read it and come back with specific questions that show you read it, tried to understand it and are just clarifying, or even better come back with configuration and debug output asking why something didn't work we can slowly take it from there. But I ain't looking for a project.

Mikrotik isn't in the business of helping a user that doesn't know even the basics see through a home installation. If they were they'd have to charge a HECK of a lot more than they do, or charge you for support contracts.

RouterOS is awesome. It's very powerful, and let's you do lots of wonderful and complicated things with elegance and ease. It's also kinda hard, especially for beginners. Those two go together, they're intertwined. So it goes.
First of all, I would like to say thank you!
I read your links, and they are very informative.
Before I ask any queastion on the forum, I always look for it online, and this forum.
I think the forum is a place where people help each other.

I searched online, but I could not find anything about PPTP and Dual(Multi) WAN.

I know we're all very busy people, but we are all here to talk, help and receive help from others.

bulat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Can someone at least tell me if this is possible?
I could not find a way to specify the interface for the PPTP client.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:57 pm

the problem you are facing is hat you have to create pptp tunnel to your ISP. That is odd to say the least as they usually provide PPPoE tunnel, that is assigned on the interface (or inerfaces in MLPPP case) while PPTP uses IP address to connect. PPPoE is chosen since you do not need ethernet to be configured, just create PPPoE tunnel and that is it.

In your case, that is mayor issue, since you have to create 2 tunnels to the same destination through 2 different interfaces and there is nothing to differentiate these tunnels since source is the same, destination is the same.

As a workaround you can get another router, that would create that additional tunnel and then just use it as if it was ISP3. After that setting PCC from example is easy.

bulat
Topic Author

PPTP and Multi WAN

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:27 pm

the problem you are facing is hat you have to create pptp tunnel to your ISP. That is odd to say the least as they usually provide PPPoE tunnel, that is assigned on the interface (or inerfaces in MLPPP case) while PPTP uses IP address to connect. PPPoE is chosen since you do not need ethernet to be configured, just create PPPoE tunnel and that is it.

In your case, that is mayor issue, since you have to create 2 tunnels to the same destination through 2 different interfaces and there is nothing to differentiate these tunnels since source is the same, destination is the same.
can I create two 2 pptp tunnels through same wan interface?