Community discussions

MikroTik App

chadii
just joined
Topic Author

Help with ppp!!

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello everyone, so here is my problem. I hvae a pppoe server running on eth2, 10.1.1.x/24 whenever I set a random ip on my pc interface, lets say 10.1.1.8 and set 10.1.1.1 as gateway I can use internet without using pppoe. I created a hotspot on the same interface to stop this,
but there is any other way to do it? I heard someone saying to remove the 10.1.1.1 from the interface so it wont act as a router anymore, but I couldnt really understand how it was going to be routed after pppoe session started, cause the gateway wont exist!!

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help with ppp!!

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Hello everyone, so here is my problem. I hvae a pppoe server running on eth2, 10.1.1.x/24 whenever I set a random ip on my pc interface, lets say 10.1.1.8 and set 10.1.1.1 as gateway I can use internet without using pppoe. I created a hotspot on the same interface to stop this,
but there is any other way to do it? I heard someone saying to remove the 10.1.1.1 from the interface so it wont act as a router anymore, but I couldnt really understand how it was going to be routed after pppoe session started, cause the gateway wont exist!!
Right, remove the IP from the interface. NO IP on the PPPoE interface for safety! The PPPoE interface will get the "local" address and the PC will get the "remote" address in the PPP profile dynamically. You don't need to set those addresses to any interface. The physical interface won't be used at all. The PPPoE interface (which gets the "local" address) is all the PC will see.