Community discussions

MikroTik App

taduikis
Topic Author

Bridge priority question

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:35 am

Hi,

I have this network setup here which utilizes quite a lot of bridges. Most of the time everything is working perfectly, but I have some doubts about STP priorities I have set. To help you understand my setup better, I've quickly drawn and commented simple network diagram. It's attached below. There are few more P2P setups like one in the bottom of the diagram, let's say connected to that same unmanaged switch on the left. The problem I sometimes experience is some weird ghost traffic, when for example some client (marked "Ordinary client in station mode" left top in diagram) uploads a file to our FTP (it's routed through gateway). The way I figured this out, was torching the P2P link's wlan interface on distant point. Torch showed that wlan1 is receiving traffic from IP addr of Station mode client at the rate the client itself was uploading it (that was about 10mbps). Where that traffic did go past wlan1 I have no idea.

Anyway, I know that this setup isn't perfect and I'm already working on a new one based on vlan's, but for the moment I would like to sort out that bridge priority question. I know the theory, but I might be wrong implementing it.. Priority with red color concerns me the most.

By the way, any input about improving my network setup is always welcome.
wifi.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Egate
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Bridge priority question

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:20 pm

You do understand that a bridge just retransmit all data it receives, including windows data? This will kill your network in no time if it starts expanding a bit. You should seriously look into routing your traffic. From your diagram, by the way, nice diagram, :) it appears it will take some work to change over but the quicker the better.