Community discussions

MikroTik App

AndreasB08
just joined
Topic Author

Deny unknown hosts

Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Hello,
I've installed a Mikrotik 750G in a multi-host environment for the purpose of WAN balancing 2 DSL lines and distribute internet across ~30 clients. Part of my network is wireless and that leads to some security issues.

What is the best method of permitting only specified known hosts access to my network? I would prefer to avoid having my users login, and can't have any other device or server used as a RADIUS server. I know MAC addresses can be changed easily, but for simplicity I want to create a whitelist of permitted MAC addresses. How can I do that - I would appreciate a step by step guide.

Thanks in advance.

m4rk0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Deny unknown hosts

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:19 am

Hello,
I've installed a Mikrotik 750G in a multi-host environment for the purpose of WAN balancing 2 DSL lines and distribute internet across ~30 clients. Part of my network is wireless and that leads to some security issues.

What is the best method of permitting only specified known hosts access to my network? I would prefer to avoid having my users login, and can't have any other device or server used as a RADIUS server. I know MAC addresses can be changed easily, but for simplicity I want to create a whitelist of permitted MAC addresses. How can I do that - I would appreciate a step by step guide.

Thanks in advance.
If You want to use "MAC filtering" on wireless, You can add Your users on "Wireless > [Access List]", than uncheck "Default Authenticate" on Your wlan card...