Community discussions

MikroTik App

undecided
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

NTH and DNS with multiple ISP WAN links

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi, I want to know if this is possible with routeros. I currently have just one WAN link to my ISP, this is a 4MB business line, I would like to add a second line to different ISP and this will likely be a 8MB line.

My questions are, if interface bonding wont work, and NTH is my only option, if one ISP has an issue I guess NTH will still try and route over this link right?

..And at the moment, all my client PC's are using the DNS supplied by my ISP, if I used a different ISP for the second line, can I then configure routeros as the DNS for the clients, and then configure both ISP DNS on my router?

Since NTH isn't really aggregating, would I be better off just getting another 4MB line from the same provider I currently have and then using NTH? This was DNS isn't an issue and neither is the fact that the lines are of different bandwidth...

Any suggestions please?

thanks

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: NTH and DNS with multiple ISP WAN links

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:17 pm

go for PCC configuration with correct routes and you will be fine if one of the links go down. You can look topics about that in here and on wiki

undecided
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm

go for PCC configuration with correct routes and you will be fine if one of the links go down. You can look topics about that in here and on wiki
Thanks! found it here http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC

So just had a quick read, so can I configure my mikrotik router as the dns server, and this will use external dns as needed depending on which interface/ISP it goes out?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:12 pm

if you set DNS server to something like google dns or opendns, and you should mark output traffic also, or else not marked traffic will go to default gateway (one without routing-mark set)

undecided
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

Guys I'm still battling to work this one out, do I HAVe to use a public DNS when using PPC with two different ISP wan links?
Or can I set the client dhcp to use my mikrotik as the DNS server, and then set each ISP's DNS on the router? will it then intelligently assign the correct DNS server depedning on which path the router takes out of my mikrotik?