Community discussions

MikroTik App

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dual Wan Ports issue with routes

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 am

I have a cable connection and DSL for a home office and I am having an issue with routes.

What I am trying to do,
I want redundant connections with my cable connection as primary

Issue
When adding the the cable connection to the routes at distance 1 I have to specify the interface... But I cant get traffic out

In routes I can add the interface but not the DHCP client.... This is strange.. For my DSL connection I have no issues I just add the PPPoE client as a route and it works fine.

If I tell the DHCP client to add default route I get traffic out but the check gateway function is not active (Since it added the route for me).... So this is not an option.

How do I add the DHCP Client as a route and get traffic out of it without specifying and IP address????

sigxcpu

Re: Dual Wan Ports issue with routes

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:26 pm

use this ... gateway=<DHCP client interface name>... instead of this ... gateway=<DHCP Interface IP Address>

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:03 pm

In Winbox "DHCP client interface name" is not a optional interface. Can this only be done through the terminal?

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 pm

I just looked at this again I only have 2 options for the cable modem connection.

1. I specify Gateway IP (However this wont work for me as it may change)
2. I specify Ethernet 1 (No traffic passes at all) [The cable modem is plugged into Ethernet 1]

On the other hand for the DSL I have a third option. PPPoE appears as an interface and if it is selected it works.

Is there anyway to select the the DHCP client as an interface??

Currently my internet access route is setup as follows number are the route distance.
1. IP of cable gateway on Ethernet 1 with check gateway option (If my ISP changes the gateway address on me this route will fail and be removed)
2. PPPoE on Ether net 2 with the check gateway option
3. Default route to the DHCP client that I told the DHCP client to add on Ethernet 1.... I am unable to edit this route. (This route was only added in case the cable provider changes my gateway and the DSL fails) [The ideal scenario is not to have this as a route at all and just use 1 and 2"However this is basically a copy of route 1 without check gateway"]

Does anyone have a better solution?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:10 am

use a routing-filter, and specify a rule in the built in 'dynamic-in' chain to turn on check-gateway for any dynamic routes.

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Ah great I will try this