Community discussions

MikroTik App

wirelesswaves
Topic Author

PCQ-substreams GONE

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi, I have been using PCQ for a couple of years or so without problems and I wouldn't be without it.

I thought I understood it reasonably until today.

In my winbox session, whilst displaying my queues.

I recently added from the menu the option to display PCQ Queues Column. (which I assume to be sub-streams)

In all the data of the columns relating to my downloads, I see the amount of PCQ queues changing dynamically according to amount of active customers downloading.

But in the upload section, I see that I only have 1 PCQ Queue per category of client!

It maybe easier to understand that I have customers with "skype standalone type phones" (with individual IP's)

I see the correct amount of PCQ Queues reletaive to customers that own phones in the "Download" section, but only 1 in the upload.

I have checked that "queue type" is correctly configured, with the correct use of Dst-address for the downloads and Src-Address for the uploads.

I have checked that the individual queue configurations point to either Down or Up accordingly.

Does anyone have any thoughts!

I am using ROS5.4

akosenko

Re: PCQ-substreams GONE

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:37 pm

If you use NAT on your router then for pcq upload queue you're must use global-out or global-in interface, not real outgoing interface. In what case used global-in or global-out interface depend of your mangle rules.

wirelesswaves
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 am

Sorry for the delay, I have been re-reading QOS.. Seems that I had screwed up.. Now I have a problem with, the more I read on the subject, the more UNCLEAR things are becoming.

3 years ago I put into practice the Double QOS which was reasonably well documented at the time.

At this time I was using 1 public IP only and Src-Nat masquarading ALL clients to it.. Seems I had screwed up even then.. Nether the less, it was providing some form of QOS.

Eg... Mangle, mark packets of packet type and prioritise...

My Public (internet supplier facing interface is ether1), so I had done the mangling in Pre-Routing, the prioritisation was then done by a queue (tree, and type default) on virtual interface "Global-In"

Traffic was then identified on a client basis, 3 types, using a "connection-mark" to a "packet-mark" and referenced to a client-address-list. So far so good.,

Queue type now PCQ , and a queue tree for download, and further tree for upload.
Note: download was against interface HTB wlan, and upload was HTB ether1.

Then I started to Nat my type of clients and their phones against various public IP's, (5 IP's in total), and I think this is where it all got screwed up!

So I take your point, I changed the tree parent in the upload tree to point to "global-out", dozens and dozens of PCQ queues(streams) now, instead of the 1. But, the upload amounts now seem to match the download, ie: If I download something at 2Mb/s, it appears in both trees!!!

So now I am more confused!. And sadly more reading is making it worse.. I am coming to the conclusion that Double qos was possible in a router, providing there was no source natting involved.

Or can someone correct my mistake with regards the correct position of the parent in the trees for:

Traffic type
Download
Upload

Assuming that wlan is local and ether is public, and that the router is also src-nating

wirelesswaves
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Moved the "type of client" marking, from the forward chain to the post-routing chain, and then made Tree parent "global-out"

But it is still the same, downloads are matching uploads.

Anyone???????

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Megis' presentation is known to have that error with src-nat and interface HTB for upload... but global-out should work fine - you just need to split download and upload packets (they should have different packet marks depending on direction)