Community discussions

MikroTik App

Goran
just joined
Topic Author

Problem with PPPoE connection

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 am

I am trying to create a PPPoE connection on MT, and seems that I have a problem with routing. When I create a PPPoE connection, as per instructions on the Wiki, I am able to connect to ADSL provider (ADSL modem is set to Bridge mode). I receive a dynamic IP on WAN interface, I can ping from MT to google IP address, but I am unable to browse / ping from PC. How can I route when I dont know what IP address will have wan interface?

If I have PPPoE in ADSL modem, and I use default configuration on MT, internet connection works, but I would like to have PPPoE on MT.

Thanks,
Goran

greencomputing
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Problem with PPPoE connection

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 am

Hi Goran
suppose that you have created successfully the ppoe and it's on routerOs Interface menu occuring as interfacewith name pppoe-1 . Just add a default gateway as next hop the pppoe interface and not the other side IP on that interface . For example :
/ip route
add distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=pppoe-1

that's all

Goran
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi greencomputing,

I have tried what you suggested and it still doesnt work. I am attaching a picture of information that might be useful to you. Also to add, I am able to successfully ping google's IP using Tools -> Ping, so the PPPoE connection is working.

Thanks for trying to help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rivera
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Masquerade? I dunno if MT have configured NAT out of the box.

Show IP->Firewall->NAT config.
As well as IP->DHCP Client.

Goran
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Rivera, thanks for the response. I have added masquerade for PPPoE, and it stated working. I had masquerade for WAN interface, but it seems that with PPPoE I need to have it for PPPoE. I have also removed default masquerade for WAN interface, and it is still working.

Does this mean that from now on when I need to define In/Out interface, I will be always put PPPoE interface instead of WAN interface?

As for the DHCP Client, why do I still need it? I am using if I use PPPoE, then I should not need DHCP? But then again, if I disable it, I am unable to access web interface of ADSL modem...

Rivera
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Correct - your primary uplink is pppoe connection. Because you start PPPoE connection on router. Let's say PPPoE is some sort of "tunnel" between you and provider. PPPoE uses PPP protocol, this is different than IP. (DHCP uses TCP/IP, PPP have it's own system for setting IP/gateway/etc). You can "insert" other protocols inside PPP.

Modem is just a device that allows transferring data using phone line.

You need to _remove_ dhcp-client from your modem interface on mikrotik. Depending from modem and provider settings it can lead to disconnects and other weird things. For example when i had dhcp client on modem interface (modem was in bridge mode), i was able to receive IP from provider (how the hell?), but i can't access internet and use PPPoE.

About modem web interface.
Let's say your home network is 192.168.69.0/24 (192.168.69.0-192.168.69.255)
And your modem have and IP address 192.168.1.1 (most common setting) and modem cable plugged into ether5 port.
Remove DHCP client from ether5, and in IP->Routes add something like that:
Dst. Address: 192.168.1.1/32 (/32 subnet is just one IP address - 192.168.1.1)
Gateway: ether5 (port where you plugged your modem)

Another way: use IP->Addresses and add:
Address: 192.168.1.2
Network: 192.168.1.0
Interface: ether5

It should work.

Goran
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 am

Big thanks for clearing things, Rivera.