Community discussions

MikroTik App

dinoc
just joined
Topic Author

router recommendation

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a wireless router for Home usage, so I was wondering if you guys can recommend me something from Mikrotik/Routerboard (unfortunately I'm not familiar with Routerboard, yet).

The router I want should have:
- wireless 802.11n
- gigabit ports

Thank you in advance!

TrollMan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: router recommendation

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 am

Kind of depends on what you expect to do with it, will you be using the FW? What connection do you have? The low end is the RB751U-2HnD thats a complete solution for you. On the other end, if your a techie and want hi-performance then and dont mind to spend a bit you can go with a RB800, a wifi card and a case.

There are also more devices being released this month, so if you want to wait then its a good option

dinoc
just joined
Topic Author

Re: router recommendation

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:50 am

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I can wait for new products if they are coming this month.

I'm not a teacher and I want to use it for home needs as I have a small network:
- 2 computers with Ethernet ports
- 1 laptop + 3 phones - using wifi connections
- 1 VOIP gateway - using ethernet port
- 1 xbox - ethernet port
- 1 media player - ethernet port
- 1 TV - ethernet port

With the new router I want to purchase I want to be able to stream Full HD content from LAN (computers, laptop or phones) to TV via DLNA without interruptions (via Ethernet or wifi if possible).

Also I want it to be capable to use it as a VPN gateway and ssh server from outside.

ISP connection is PPPOE at 100Mbps