Community discussions

MikroTik App

dalami
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Upload limiting works great - how do I limit downloads?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 am

Attached is a screen capture from WinBox. I've defined various mangle rules & queues - and my upload rules work great (although I don't know I'm necessarily doing things the "best" way - they do work).

My problem is download - none of the rules I've tried seem to match any download traffic, with the exception of a torrent download rule that matches the destination port.

The setup is a DSL modem on port 1, my LAN switch on port 2, and my wireless access point on port 3. I have a single VoIP phone - at the moment I'm simply matching against its static IP for bandwidth purposes. As you can see in the picture, the connection rule matches the src address fine - but never matches the dst address.

None of the other rules I've tried for download matching seem to work - with the exception of the rule I have for uTorrent - it's working fine.

There's probably some basic concept that I'm totally missing here - can someone help me out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dalami
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Upload limiting works great - how do I limit downloads?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 am

Is my problem just a basic misunderstanding on networking principles? I've tried using the packet marks from the "upload" rules that match - based on src IP - and using those in the download queues. Looks like it's working correctly. Was I just overcomplicating it?

cmoegele

Re: Upload limiting works great - how do I limit downloads?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 pm

I´m noob too,.... :(
its difficult to get some noob questions answered, better read some weeks trough wiki and forum with tons of code snipets.
Tried using some traffic shaping like described in wiki, but not really successful,....

br

cm