Community discussions

MikroTik App

luthic
just joined
Topic Author

Need help with VNC traffic thru router

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 am

Hello,
I'm new to the MikroTik world. We have an IT company that installed a MikroTik router running OSv5.11 for us in a remote location. It works great except for VNC and RDP traffic. Whenever someone behind the MT router connects to our company VPN, they can do everything but host a VNC session. File sharing works, DNS works, the tunnel is fine. But whenever we try to connect to one of their machines, it times out before we ever establish a connection.
I know this isn't a problem with the local machine because we had the IT company put in a port forwarding rule for VNC and that works. Unfortunately there are several machines and we don't want to have to do port forwarding for all of the machines on site, so we're trying to figure out why VNC traffic is getting blocked when a secure VPN session is established. This router is the only variable in the situation, as we do VNC through our VPN sessions all the time at various locations without any problems.
Is there something that needs to be configured in the router to allow for VNC traffic to pass without port forwarding? Any help anyone could lend would be greatly appreciated.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Need help with VNC traffic thru router

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 am

I use it frequently and had no problems with VNC.

Check how you set nat. Maybe you placed to general rule that influences vpn interfaces too. Or, maybe there is some other firewall rule that is to general and blocks trafic in a manner you did not intend?