Community discussions

MikroTik App

cteague
just joined
Topic Author

Bridge Port Settings - Edge

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Could anyone elaborate what the "Edge" function does under the Bridge Port Settings? I've looked through the documentation on the Wiki and the description isn't helping me come to a conclusion.

"Set port as edge port or non-edge port, or enable automatic detection" - What does this actually mean?

The goal I'm trying to achieve is to use ROS to terminate L2TPv2 and use BCP to bridge dot1q traffic from WiFi access points [successful]. I do this with Cisco routers at the moment, but using newer x86 technology is far superior and less costly than scaling out my current solution.

Many L2TP tunnels -> Ether1 (L3) -> LNS Server -> l2tp interface -> Bridge -> Ether2 (L2) -> Switch.....

Ether2 in the Cisco setup has a handy feature called "bridge-group x subscriber-trunk". This has helped minimize broadcasts going upstream to a degree, and I'm trying to locate the same type of function if it exists within ROS.

Thanks in advance!

blake

Re: Bridge Port Settings - Edge

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Ports may be configured as edge ports if they are attached to a LAN that has no other bridges attached. These edge ports transition directly to the forwarding state. RSTP still continues to monitor the port for BPDUs in case a bridge is connected.
Source: Wikipedia: Spanning Tree Protocol #RSTP Operation