MikroTik App

dipdip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

ospf vs bridge level 2 network

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:31 am

hi,

i am busy expanding my network but started it with using static routes between my towers with subnet of /30 for added security.

as the network are getting quite big now, i need to either get ospf up or just use a level 2 network between all the towers (ap bridge connect to pseudobridge).

which is better and why?

thanks

airtonarantes
just joined

Re: ospf vs bridge level 2 network

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Using bridge level 2 your network will be with a broadcast domain very large, this way you lose performance in your network. This is the basic idea but we have others problems with this aproach, such as: Scalability, Disponibility and so on.

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Go with a routable network every time! Forget any idea of a L2 broadcast domain! If you already have a large network, you can leave the static routing, but add OSPF to your network. Then when you feel ready, start removing the static routes one by one and see if everything is still working. :-)

You can also add new IPs in a new IP range and add your OSPF for just that new range. There are quite a few methods to carefully migrate from a L2 to a L3 network, but definitely wise to stay with the idea of using routing, not bridging.
Last edited by nest on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dipdip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:17 pm

thanks guys.

i'll be setting up ospf then