Community discussions

MikroTik App

DWELLER
just joined
Topic Author

ADSL Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi Guys,

I've searched the forums and have come up with no answers.

We're a couple of friends on a wireless network built up entirely of Mikrotik products.
Where the Highsite is, there we've got an uncapped ADSL line which is currently begin dialed with a RB750 and distributed to the users (5 of us)
Currently there are no QoS setup and when another user downloads, another can't game.

Now, I'm looking to improve the internet connection per user for an overall better experience for all of us.
I've thought about QoS, but I believe a better/easier solution would be to just limit each user to a certain amount.

I thought about this and to take it one step further:

If one user is browsing / downloading and none of the other users are doing anything on their "pipe", why can't I make the full line available to the user that is browing / downloading?
If another user now wants to browse / download I can just split the available bandwidth between them.
And the same principle would apply to another user if he / she wants to browse / download - I'll just split the available total bandwidth between all the users that are "active".

Can ROS be setup to handle something like this? If not, what is the best alternative for bandwidth management per user?

Also, if we decide to get another ADSL Line, could we bond (not load balance) the two lines with Mikrotik / ROS?

Thanks guys!

CCDKP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: ADSL Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Look into PCQ. It effectively does what you are asking for; it evenly shares the bandwidth between the clients.

You do need to provide fairly accurate total bandwidth limits, though. If you set the max limit for a hypothetical 10Mbit, but then only get 6Mbit actual bandwidth from the ISP, QoS will not kick in, as it doesn't think there is a problem yet (since there is far less than 10Mbit of traffic)

Here is some info to get you started:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Qu ... Q_Examples

Video:
http://www.tiktube.com/index.php?video= ... xClIoEKDH=
Slides:
http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/U ... is_qos.pdf

DWELLER
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Appreciate the bump in the right direction! :)

DWELLER
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:18 pm

So I checked out PCQ and I believe it might work for me with the pcq-rate=0 option.

Just one question on setting it up though: How to I configure the classifier to work for a network segment / subnet?

I'd like to assign each Routerboard connected to the network as a "client".
So it doesn't matter who's requesting traffic from behind the RB, the PCQ sees it as one request. i.e. one user as below.

Just an F.Y.I.

Our users each has his own subnet of lets say:

User 1: 192.168.1.0/24
User 2: 192.168.2.0/24
User 3: 192.168.3.0/24
Last edited by DWELLER on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

CCDKP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:05 am

When you configure PCQ, you specify what mask you want for src or dst classifiers:
add kind=pcq name=pcq_src pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-limit=50 pcq-rate=0 pcq-src-address-mask=24 pcq-total-limit=5000
add kind=pcq name=pcq_dst pcq-classifier=dst-address pcq-dst-address-mask=24 pcq-rate=0 pcq-total-limit=5000