jlct021
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Port Mirroring

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:28 am

Hi

10PC's LANed up (using 2 desktop switches) to an ADSL Modem / Router

Is it possible / advisable to connect these PC's to ether2 on my RB750GL, mirror that port to ether5, then connect a pc running bandwidthd to ether5 to gather bandwidth usage for all 10 of my pc's?

If so how can I go about doing this in Winbox?

Step by step instructions not assuming I know what Im doing very much appreciated.

Thanks

jlct021
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Port Mirroring

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 am

opening a terminal and entering

/interface ethernet switch set numbers=0 mirror-source=ether2 mirror-target=ether5

seems to be working

jlct021
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 am

Is it possible to mirror more than one port?

ie to mirror ports 2,3,4 to target port 5?

jlct021
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to mirror more than one port?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi

Sorry for reposting but have been unable to work out if this is do-able or not on my own.

Is it possible to mirror ports 2,3,4 to target port 5?

If so how?

I'm trying to send all traffic passing through my router to a collector. (pmacct)

Thanks

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 am

Hi, I would like an answer on this too. I have the same requirement !!

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Though this thread is rather old I stumbled upon it a couple of times. Therefore I'd like to reply anyway. ;)

Mirroring of multiple ports to a single destination port still (as of ROS 6.3rc1) does not seem to be supported. But take your initial question and situation and you see it would not make sense anyway. You are asking if it is possible to mirror several 1Gbps ports to a single 1Gpbs port. As soon as the accumulated bandwidth of the desired ports exceeds 1Gbps information will get lost.

Also keep in mind that a 1Gbps source port can have up to 2Gbps traffic (bi-directional). But you cannot transmit more than 1Gbps out of your mirror destination port. So there's also going to be some packet loss happening.

We're also using pmacct on a server to gather statistics about our customers bandwidth usage. As long as we don't have a router with 10G ports we're streaming our traffic through a switch with 10G ports on which our pmacct server listens.

In case we get our core insfrastructure migrated to MT I'll take a closer look at the RouterOS API. Maybe I'll find an easier way to get the information we need (traffic stats per port / per vlan), instead of using brute force with pmacct.

ulysses
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm

It seems like mirroring the master port also mirrors traffic for the slave ports on a switch. So, if you set eth2 master for eth3, eth4 and then configure mirroring of eth2 to eth5 then eth5 will receive packets from 2, 3 and 4