Community discussions

MikroTik App

omally01
Topic Author

Bandwidth Priorities for different clients

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 am

Hello all.

I work for a WISP that wants to have 3 rates for people to pay for, up to 3mbps, up to 5mbps, and up to 8mbps. We would like to somehow give highest priority to the 8mb accounts, then the 5mb accounts, and let the 3mb accounts sit at the least priority. Our network is completely routed, 30 bit addresses between every tower etc. What would be the best way to accomplish this? The only thing that I know of currently would be to assign different network blocks with higher QoS priority versus others throughout the network, though I am sure there is a better way to accomplish this. A colleague of mine seems to think that we can use vlans tagged with different priorities, but I don't think you can do that clear to our edge router without having the entire network bridged. Is this correct? Or is there some way to have a vlan/trunk traverse a routed network? And can you assign priorities to different vlans? Please give me your thoughts and ideas, I'm completely open to what would be the best solution. Thanks in advance!