Community discussions

MikroTik App

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Quickset (new in v5.12)

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:57 am

Announcing Quickset, the easy way to configure a new router. Starting from v5.12, new SXT, RB711 and RB411 devices will have Quicket - just plug in your ethernet cable, open 192.168.88.1 and you will see a very easy to use interface to set the most basic settings for your router. If anything is missing, just go to the regular webfig and delve into the powerful RouterOS configuration.

Features:

- currently supports RB411, RB711 and SXT CPE devices
- automatically logs into devices with admin/no password
- quickly see list of available APs and their signals
- quickly align the station, by instantly seeing the signal graph of selected device
- quickly set up/down speed by selecting from dropdown (or type custom speed, ex 128K)
- can set basic WAN/LAN settings
- also featured in Winbox

Perfect for ISPs installing CPE devices at the customer location. Click click and you're done!

Please test it (a system reset on any of the mentioned devices should bring up the Quickset menu) and let us know your thoughts, suggestions and problems.
webfig-quick-set2.png
winbox-quick-set2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hapi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Quickset (new in v5.12)

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 am

UBNT style :-(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:19 am

UBNT style :-(
Why and where? Full webfig is still available on the same page, we have not reduced functionality, just added a easy interface as an addition.

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:36 am

Not for me, but it looks like many will find it useful. Suggestion: Add checkbox option to remove the built-in input firewall on these devices. You may want to go a bit further than that with the firewall, but still that is an option that would be needed.

lyxnafis

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 am

I've got one RB411 and one RB411A (level 4).
Quickset exists only on RB411 !!! Isn't 411A a 411?

P.S. Probably an " OR 411A" on hardware check is missing...
Last edited by lyxnafis on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:02 pm

RB411A has an AP license, it's not a CPE unit.

lyxnafis

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 pm

that figures..

mapunda

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Please add pppoe client configuration. It will be easy for our technicians to configure pppoe in CPEs

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Basically this is a new feature, we are starting by adding support only to three specific models listed above. We will see the response from you all, and will roll out updates, and more supported models in next versions. Let us know what you think!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Please add pppoe client configuration. It will be easy for our technicians to configure pppoe in CPEs
thanks for suggestion! what settings do you usually configure? interface, user/pass and service name? of if PPPoE is always on the WAN port, maybe user/pass is enough (use empty service name)?

rmukhtarov
just joined

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Any plans to support RB751G-2HnD

mapunda

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm

thanks for suggestion! what settings do you usually configure? interface, user/pass and service name? of if PPPoE is always on the WAN port, maybe user/pass is enough (use empty service name)?
PPPoE is always in WAN port (Wireless interface) and we usually configure interface (Wlan), user/pass. Service name is empty

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:42 pm

this will have AP quickset, which is still under development. any suggestions?

maxstel
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:12 pm

For us, just service name would be great...
Thanks...

cybercoder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:27 pm

sorry to say this but i should say:
may be it is very useful for newbies but hopeless for professionals.
it is like fast foods. (eat and run)!
and psychologically like ubnt airOS! :?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

sorry to say this but i should say:
may be it is very useful for newbies but hopeless for professionals.
it is like fast foods. (eat and run)!
and psychologically like ubnt airOS! :?
but then don't use it. it's not forced, just an optional menu

cybercoder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm

i know you worked hard on it and that was not induction, just my idea.
please don't be upset from me normis.

c0d3rSh3ll
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm

why not all rb support this feature??

is more easy for noob an begginers

alijoker
just joined

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:38 pm

this additional option maybe useful for newbies but not the professionals as the brother said
so its not make so much different
by the way ,,,
i had some problem with the version 5.11 , when i reset the configuration the routerboard still keeping the old user name and passwords
should i use the console cable to reset the passwords?
and why it changed like this in this version?

O1DMBFan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Wireless:
------------------------------
SSID
Radio Name
Wireless Protocol

IP:
IP Address (ether1 and wlan1)
DHCP Server (ether1)
DNS
Firewall (Brute Force Rules)
NAT ( Masquerade)
Default Route
SNMP (Enabled)

System:
Identity
Password
Watchdog

Aveyer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Can you please add this to the RB750GL and RB450G too? and perhaps to the whole series.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Looks good

+1 for basic PPPoE options..

All my configs and i think most other users would require user/pass, null service name field, add-default-route, use-peer-dns...

As for usefulness, I think its great, not all my field techs have a solid understanding of TCP/IP or Router OS... Making it easy for them to install and align is a good idea. Previously I just wrote a script to handle Router/Bridge mode configs and showed them how to import.

I like the graphed signal level as well...

This is also good if you setup a login for the client, it could aide in making the customer more self sufficient in troubleshooting problems or changing configs based on customer needs.

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey Normis,
Great idea! Will be very interested on how this matures over time!
Appreciate the constant innovation!
Rod

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:51 am

we can't "Put this" on other models yet, because each model needs a different configuration. This is created for CPE (a device in wireless station mode, which connects to an AP to get internet). RB750 doesn't do that, so same configuration can't be applied.

We will have different quickset for each type of device.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 pm

What license covers beeing an AP but not a CPE? Is AP function not higher scale than CPE?

And by the way, quickset works fine on my rb133C1's I have. The only I saw is that althoug dhcp-server was already configured in 5.11 the 5.12 didn't recognize it. Only after ticking the box on and off the dhcp-server was disabled whereafter I could enable it by ticking the box on again. (All in winbox).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:14 pm

License level 3 is CPE. Level 4 or above is AP.

The quickset is not meant for universal configuration. The one we released with v5.12 is "CPE quickset" for devices that we make specifically as CPE devices (SXT, Groove, RB711 etc). Quickset can't guess what you intend to do with your device. Other configuration must be done from the normal Webfig interface.

when the QuickSet AP version will be ready, on the AP boards you will be able to switch to the CPE version if you wish.

Boundless
just joined

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Very nice feature for newbies like me. Thnx for that. But please make it for RB751...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Very nice feature for newbies like me. Thnx for that. But please make it for RB751...

yes we will

rmukhtarov
just joined

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:04 pm

this will have AP quickset, which is still under development. any suggestions?
I don't have any suggestions, yet but any new development will be great for Mikrotik users IMHO

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 pm

License level 3 is CPE. Level 4 or above is AP.

The quickset is not meant for universal configuration. The one we released with v5.12 is "CPE quickset" for devices that we make specifically as CPE devices (SXT, Groove, RB711 etc). Quickset can't guess what you intend to do with your device. Other configuration must be done from the normal Webfig interface.

when the QuickSet AP version will be ready, on the AP boards you will be able to switch to the CPE version if you wish.
The original question of lyxnafix was:
I've got one RB411 and one RB411A (level 4).
Quickset exists only on RB411 !!! Isn't 411A a 411?
I was also thinking that the architecture of both would be the same exept for the license level.
Basically what happens during installing 5.12 the installation process looks at the license level to decide to install Quick set or not? Is this the case?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:54 pm

For starter this Quick set so far is useless... let me explain:

I install it on a rb711-5Hn that is mend to be a CPE unit...
Before it was running on 5.11 but I did a sys reset and accepted default config after fist boot after this.

Thus, after installing 5.12 I have a virgin version running on a rb711-5Hn that I am intent to use in my network.
Now I look in the Quick set and see the unit is scanning..... but nothing comes up!
Why..?
Well, looking in the wireless config I see why:
1. SSID is default "MikroTik". I am not using that and neither does anybody else exept MT I presume. So it will never find a network with such name and others are not mentioned.
2. Country is not set. Meaning unit only scans these channels available in default setting. Europe 5Ghz upper band is not available now, which is the only one to be used outside in Europe! So in Europe this feature would be useless without pre-use adjustments in the config.
3. Channel width is set to "20/40 HT Above". Now this can become the fashion, but many networks nowadays also use 10Mhz bandwith to avoid interferences.

So, the Quikset window should at least ask user the country it is in and the SSID should be erased in the config. (Or make one like "any" as works in ubnt stuff. This should be part of the default config anyway.)
Last feature would be to ask for the bandwith the radio is to work in... (and the band if a a/b/g/n card? So 2,4 or 5Ghz)

In regard to the last option, I found now that running a scan on a CPE initiated over the wireless interface in this Quickset menu breaks the connection (obvious) but it comes back! Great, meaning now a scan initiated over the wireless can accidentily be run without permanentily loosing communication to that unit! Great. Next step is to arrange the scan actually performs the scan and show us the resulted info after unit comes back on line. Now (also in the winbox wireless initiated scan) after the unit comes back the scan window produces an error. And this error even comes back after I closed and re-opened scan window! I needed to reboot the device to get rid of it!

Conclusion: Yes, a great function but it definately needs some tweaking and adjustment from you guys to make it usefull for the dummy and than a succes! :D

Further more I would suggest that apart maybe from the PPoE funcionality not too many other settings should be add otherwise it just becomese another GUI which we already have in winbox/webfig

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:10 am

1. SSID is default "MikroTik". I am not using that and neither does anybody else exept MT I presume. So it will never find a network with such name and others are not mentioned.
in wireless client mode, SSID has no meaning. it will scan all stations, and SSID will be changed only after you click connect.
2. Country is not set. Meaning unit only scans these channels available in default setting. Europe 5Ghz upper band is not available now, which is the only one to be used outside in Europe! So in Europe this feature would be useless without pre-use adjustments in the config.
you are right, we will add country setting
3. Channel width is set to "20/40 HT Above". Now this can become the fashion, but many networks nowadays also use 10Mhz bandwith to avoid interferences.
I see no proof for that. In that case, there are lots of specific things that you "could" have in your network. We can't account for them all.
Basically what happens during installing 5.12 the installation process looks at the license level to decide to install Quick set or not? Is this the case?
no, it looks at model, just like said above

crazyhacker
just joined

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Quickset is a great idea! Please create it for rb750 and rb751. A lot of beginners will be able to buy these models if they will be easy to configure.

a common task is: connect to ISP (static/dynamic ip, ppoe, vpn), setup of ip-tv, port forwarding (for games, torrents etc.), to configure the access point (SSID, password, output power)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:12 pm

back the scan window produces an error. And this error even comes back after I closed and re-opened scan window! I needed to reboot the device to get rid of it!
can you show us this error, and describe how to repeat this issue?
Further more I would suggest that apart maybe from the PPoE funcionality not too many other settings should be add otherwise it just becomese another GUI which we already have in winbox/webfig
yes. we are working to add only very important things that are needed to make initial config. currently quickset works best on brand new devices, but of course - there are no devices yet with v5.12 preinstalled.

Swordforthelord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:24 am

I think this new feature has tremendous potential, and I had some thoughts for non-wireless devices like the 750, 450, 1100, etc...

My experience is mostly with the 750's that have a working basic configuration out of the box. However, a quickset that would create a dual or multi-wan scenario, with each interface being individually configured and with options for load-balancing or failover and so on, would be fantastic. In these situations, I know exactly what the client needs but I cannot seem to wrap my head around the mangle rules to make it happen.

Additionally, the ability for the quickset to create more advanced protective firewall rules would be great as well. Things like shutting down a DOS attack, or a port scan, brute force attack, etc. Maybe even some basic QOS as well.

Thanks!

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 am

I can confirm that we use a lot of 10mhz to clients. I have been working with a lot of ISP's, and know about 10.000 clients running in 10mhz mode.
wireless protocol = any
frequenymode = superchannel
band = 10 mhz.
scanlist = xxxx,xxxx

+pppoe

what about a branding feature who can make some default settings to the default menu?

today we have a step1 step 2 config, make it easy to configure. Step1 is a default config to all clients to same ISP. (different isps have different settings like pass, encryption, snmp etc etc) Step 2 is client spesific config to spesific user.
step1 make the client to connect to a default ssid (INSTALL) with a pppoe default user/pass, and open a connection to our web server. The engineer at the customer then get access to the webserver, (nothing more in step 1) and tell the databse Im now at customer XXXX . there i found best signal to SSID yyyyyyy then the server make a 4 line config to paste into mikrotik, and step2 config (witch actually is a script) calculate values like ip, ssid, pppoe user/pass etc. (also updating the database with connection to dns, radius, snmp polling etc)

its a really nice setup, but takes a lot of time in production to configure the clients. (open all packages and install script + routeros XXX (You guys always change just small bits in different routeros versions, make maintaining the scripts like a horror) A step 0, branded, would be a really nice feature, and access to a easy website to make easy config.

in wireless client mode, SSID has no meaning. it will scan all stations, and SSID will be changed only after you click connect.
you are right, we will add country setting
I see no proof for that. In that case, there are lots of specific things that you "could" have in your network. We can't account for them all.
no, it looks at model, just like said above

NoName
just joined

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 pm

I don't think quickset is implemented okay, at least in ros5.14 on rb711-5hn. I belive the IP address should be linked with bidge device (bridge1) and not with ether1-local device. In case I manually set the IP on bridge1 and delete the one on ether1-local, quickset doesn't recognize the IP address at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

NoName, please give more information about steps used to get the same problem.

Do you use Winbox and Quikset simultaneously?
I've discovered the following using Webfing and Winbox,
- delete IP address by Winbox;
- IP address removed from Webfig too;
- IP address added by Winbox,
there is nothing displayed on Webfig, as it is not refreshed;
- click on 'router' and back to 'bridge' , IP address will be displayed in Webfig.

NoName
just joined

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 am

sergejs, I'm using winbox and quickset (I think the only other way of using quickset is via webfig - I have webfig disabled)

I'm not sure it's wise for me to delete the IP address whatsoever as I'd be unable to connect to RB (RB711-5Hn doesn't have a serial port)...

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 am

NoName,

I didn't get the problem. I assume you do not like IP address added to ether1 (that was configured to bridge).
I do not see problem there,
- IP address added to Ether1.
- Ether1 is part of the bridge.
- When Ether1 is removed.
Router still has working IP address on Ether1,
otherwise when IP address would be configured on bridge, IP on the bridge becomes inactive.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

earlier it was said that after adding interface as a port of bridge, you must reassign IP address(es) from that interface to the bridge for normal functioning - isn't it true in latest versions of ROS? =)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 am

earlier it was said that after adding interface as a port of bridge, you must reassign IP address(es) from that interface to the bridge for normal functioning - isn't it true in latest versions of ROS? =)
AFAIK only true if you add dhcp-server on the bridge interface. for other cases you will see that /ip address will show interface and actual-interface attributes.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 pm

AFAIK only true if you add dhcp-server on the bridge interface. for other cases you will see that /ip address will show interface and actual-interface attributes.
true. I saw it in ipv6 addresses earlier, and WinBox do not show ipv4 actual-interface, so I didn't notice that you changed ipv4 behaviour also :)

stewartpe
just joined

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Feature Request-Bandwidth Control:
I control the bandwidth on the LAN port so I can still do updates, monitoring, etc. of the CPE at full WLAN speeds.
Would you please switch the Quickset bandwidth control from WLAN to LAN?

Same request for upcoming AP Quickset- my AP's also provide LAN to the house they are mounted on.

Thanks!

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 am

Good feature (Quickset), But What's is difference between Router and Bridge in this Quickset, I mean when should I select Router and When should I select Bridge ?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:24 pm

that depends on your goals when you create your network. There is no definite answer as there are good points and bad ones for each of the ways.

you can look up in our manual wiki.miikrotik.com topics about bridging and about routing.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Yesterday I've installed ROS 5.15rc1 on my RB433AH. In this version Quickset for RB433AH is introduced.
This RB has two wireless interfaces and is not possible to select which one is configured using Quickset.
Dropdown list with available wireless interfaces will be nice feature.

Regards,

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 pm

There is no definite answer as there are good points and bad ones for each of the ways.
"friends never let friends bridge their networks" xD

hapi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Why is the QuickSet menu at the top of Winbox? A function that is used only once? Incomprehensible.

ymartin

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm using RB751U-2HnD with "Quick Set" v5.15.

Idea is great but seems completely buggy here.
Every time I use it, it change parameters in "Address menu", DHCP... etc.

How to deactivate it?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:05 am

How to deactivate it?
It is supposed to change these settings. Either use only Quickset, or don't use quickset but configure manually. You can't mix custom config and quickset.

ymartin

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:38 pm

How to deactivate it?
It is supposed to change these settings. Either use only Quickset, or don't use quickset but configure manually. You can't mix custom config and quickset.
This do not work. I try on different RB751U-2HnD with same result. I give you an example:

I set the local IP address (Address List) with "Quickset" and Quickset put by default the WiFi interface (was set to the bridge manually). I change the name but result is the same all the time.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:44 pm

I set the local IP address (Address List)
# Quickset does not have address-list;
## What Quickset menu is set on your router?
CPE? AP?
### What is configured for Configuration?
Router? Bridge?

If it is bridge, wireless interface is added to bridge together with Ethernet ports. IP address is added to interface and applied for entire bridge.

ymartin

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm

I set the local IP address (Address List)
# Quickset does not have address-list;
Address list in IP Menu
## What Quickset menu is set on your router?
CPE? AP?
AP
### What is configured for Configuration?
Router? Bridge?

If it is bridge, wireless interface is added to bridge together with Ethernet ports. IP address is added to interface and applied for entire bridge.
Router

In Address List ("IP" menu), local IP is set with bridge interface (or eth2... will have the same impact)

When I set LAN IP Address in Quickset, this will change the setting in IP menu by WiFi device.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Just had a RB751G-2Hnd delivered, plugged it in, it worked first time, checked the wireless, it was great, logged in to unit, ran quickset, change SSID and Security and set password.

Tried to find wireless, no wireless showing at all, reset to factory, it was fine, tried again same thing.

When I checked the manual settings after running Quickset, I found it had changed the protocol setting to nv2 nstreme, setting this back to "any" and the wireless re-appeared and could log on again and everything was fine.

When I used bridge mode I had to do a little tweeking to enable all 5 Ports to work as a switch and the unit to work as an access point.

So for anybody having problems with quickset check the protocol setting under Interface wlan1 -> Wireless -> Advanced

epkulse
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:32 pm

I have a RB751G too, and I am not able to activate the switch ports. Currently I have only port 1 connected to my router, and wlan active. But I want to have the 4 GB ports to work aswell. It is configured using Quickset as AP and in Bridge Mode.

How shall I activate the remaining GB ports to be part of the switch?

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:57 pm

I have a RB751G too, and I am not able to activate the switch ports. Currently I have only port 1 connected to my router, and wlan active. But I want to have the 4 GB ports to work aswell. It is configured using Quickset as AP and in Bridge Mode.

How shall I activate the remaining GB ports to be part of the switch?
Go to Interfaces and decide which port you want as the master port, then select each of the other ports in turn and choose in the the drop down box labelled Master Port the port you decided was going to be the master.

epkulse
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks. I managed to make it work.

sontrava

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Why there is no PPTP L2TP in QuickSet? :shock:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:45 am

Why there is no PPTP L2TP in QuickSet? :shock:
client or server? give us some recommendations on required settings, and we will make it. which section do you want it in? home ap, ap, cpe, bridge?

sontrava

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm Sorry.
Why there is no PPTP L2TP client in QuickSet?

Because there are 5 basic types the connection Internet -
1. Static IP
2. Dynamic IP
3. PPPoE
4. PPPTP (Dual Access)
5. L2TP (Dual Access)

I didn't understand at what here WiFi?
PPTP L2TP doesn't depend on that what network – wire or wireless.
Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 am

to make a PPTP tunnel, you need to have an address already. This will not replace "address aquisition". You still need that DHCP client

sontrava

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:36 am

Sure.
And all routers of the world support without problems - DHCP + PPTP L2TP (Dual Access). But not Mikrotik (I mean Dual Access).

I am connected to one of the largest providers of Ukraine. Vega Telecom.
I have the following settings:

1. DHCP- client Dynamic IP (by my MAC-address)
2. + PPTP (Dual Access)

PPTP:
1. My Address vpn = matrix.vpn (NS name instead of IP)
2. My Login
3. My password

But in QuickSet there is no simple PPTP L2TP, not to mention Dual Access PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP.
And without QuickSet too it is very difficult to adjust PPPoE, PPTP L2TP Dual Access. Because Mikrotik supports only simple PPPoE, PPTP L2TP.
Though on all other routers it is adjusted in couple of clicks and works on Dual Access PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP.
This will not replace "address aquisition". You still need that DHCP client
I do not see problems.
PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP - As an option for Static IP or Dynamic IP.
And Static IP can be empty for PPPoE. (PPPoE without IP)ю Exists PPPoE and without IP or with Dynamic IP.

So most clearly and logically and universally
And You add a button Clone MAC

sontrava

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:57 pm

thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:06 pm

What about encryption settings? As far as I know, Dual Access is used only in Ukraine and Russia. This is a very specific requirement. I guess you can make it with a custom Webfig skin.

Of course we will consider adding a generic PPTP client to the Webfig, but as in other places of RouterOS, it most likely will not support DNS names

sontrava

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:31 pm

What about encryption settings? As far as I know, Dual Access is used only in Ukraine and Russia. This is a very specific requirement.
Dual Access - It simply.
It just other route to vpn-server. Encryption Here does not play a role.
See - The Orange Frame - 2 route - DualAccess and Classic (with red cross)
Dual Access support on Mikrotik it would be remarkable.
And it is even better that classical PPTP, L2TP and Dual Access PPTP, L2TP was supported in QuickSet too.
In fact there is not present in general any PPTP, L2TP in QuickSet.

I guess you can make it with a custom Webfig skin.
WinBox would like certainly, instead of WebFig.
Of course we will consider adding a generic PPTP client to the Webfig, but as in other places of RouterOS, it most likely will not support DNS names
It is very sad that "it most likely won't support DNS names" :?

Last edited by sontrava on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Yes, maybe "you" don't need encryption. But people outside of Russia, where this function would not be made for accessing pirate movie servers, but for other purposes, Encryption could be very important. This would mean many other configuration options. We need to consider needs of all users, and make the interface optimal for everybody.

sontrava

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Encryption for Dual Access does not differ from the standard PPTP, L2TP.
It is optional.

Dual Access - It just other route to vpn-server. Here all differences

I have studied this theme thoroughly.
On different routers and Windows Linux Unix - and I Also compared with Mikrotik
Last edited by sontrava on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Please clarify - what is the thing that you can't do already in Winbox?

Can create PPTP, can make create default route. Only support for DNS name is missing now ?

sontrava

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm

support for DNS name is missing now - It not the main problem.

The main problem is a wrong route to a vpn-server. (Mark - Red Cross)
Can create PPTP, can make create default route.
In it and a problem, that a route by default to vpn-server to create it is possible.
But it will not work never.
And route by default to vpn-server has Distance=0, and it cannot be blocked my static route.

Only if to use Rules tab - but these are crutches.
And not everyone will guess about the Rules tab.
Last edited by sontrava on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:00 pm

You need this route, how will you reach the server ?

sontrava

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Remote Address from my VPN-client -10.128.4.9 (matrix.vpn)

Route by Default to VPN-server 10.128.4.9 - through Interface WAN1-pptp
And a correct route to VPN-server 10.128.4.9 (for Dual Access) - through IP 10.0.37.1

10.0.37.1 - It is a Gateway which is received on DHCP-client

This is the DualAccess. It is very simple
Last edited by sontrava on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:19 pm

I do not see where is the problem.

1) /32 IP address is assigned by PPTP/L2TP server (DAC route created after), and connection could not be established without it.

2) What kind of traffic do you need to pass over tunnel and over DHCP [non-encrypted] link?

As now when add-default-gateway is not added,
- all traffic is forwarded over PPTP/LT2TP tunnel;
- in case tunnel connection brakes, all traffic is forwarded over DHCP connection.
How do you want to route your traffic?

sontrava

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Route by Default to VPN-server 10.128.4.9 - through Interface WAN1-pptp
In a typical setting pptp-client (IP_vpn-login-password)
Internet does not work.
The TX-traffic is Ok, and RX-traffic is not present.
And later 1 minute - There is a break PPPTP of connection.
Because it is Dual Access.

And a correct route to VPN-serever 10.128.4.9 (for Dual Access) - through IP 10.0.37.1
Last edited by sontrava on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sontrava

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:35 am

You need this route, how will you reach the server ?
This default route to the vpn-server wrong for Dual Access.
Simple PPTP routing --------- 10.64.83.130 ----------------------------------------------------- 10.128.4.9 .....internet

This route is correct
Dual-Access PPTP routing --- 10.64.83.130 --10.0.137.56 ---------------------10.0.137.1-- 10.128.4.9 .....internet

10.64.83.130 - My IP from vpn-server
10.128.4.9 - vpn-server IP

10.0.137.56 - My IP from DHCP
10.0.137.1 - Gateway (Route 0.0.0.0/0), Which is received from DHCP

It is simpler to me not to explain, I can simply show as Dual Access works.
I have 2 Internet and RB750 and Real Static IP.
I am tired of beating on a wall of misunderstanding, that there is such a Dual Access
It is obviously specified on a screenshot:

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you for the clarification.
I see the problem now.

PPTP server route conflicts with route to PPTP server.
For proper setup, your ISP could configure loopback [or different] address for local IP of tunnel.

Assume you are using 1.1.1.1 to connect to PPTP server, for proper setups it should be different from IP address that will be used by tunnel. Because as soon as tunnel is established /32 IP addressing is configured,
x.x.x.x/32 - one end address [server];
y.y.y.y/32 - second end address [client].
1) For proper setups your ISP should use different address for PPTP server connection and for established tunnels.
2) The feature you are asking for: PPTP tunnel reachable over interface (WAN1) according to your screenshots, PPTP server is not designed to be used in local networks, for such purpose PPPoE is created (to reach PPPoE server over interface in broadcast domain). PPTP server could not be reached by interface, ip routing is required for it.

Currently there are two solutions,
- use routing-mark setup as you are already using;
- ask ISP to change IP addressing to proper scheme (different address for PPTP server itself, and PPTP address used for tunnel communication).

Perhaps we will add this feature to Quickset, when we will make it for tunnels (but not in the near future).

P.S. DNS resolving for tunnel address might be added in near future.

jmorby
just joined

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi

QuickSet is great however it keeps appearing even after we have routers (CCRs) fully configured and operational

I'm scared someone will click Apply without thinking and wipe out our custom configs

How does RouterOS flag that a config is loaded and the Quickset menu should no longer be displayed?

(This is on 6.x up to 6.22)