Community discussions

MikroTik App

froese86
just joined
Topic Author

HP VLAN tagging with Mikrotik bridge

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57 am

Hello,

Right now we have 2 separate VLANs between 2 HP Procurve 2610 switches. The 2 switches are trunked together using a Mikrotik (RB411AH v4.17) wireless bridge, as they are in different buildings. The Mikrotik radios are plugged into the tagged (trunked) port on the HP switches ( port is tagged on both VLANs), and ports that need to access their respective VLANs are untagged. Before the VLANs were set up on the HP switches, I was able to access the radio's via winbox without any issue. I have tried accessing the radios from both VLANs without any issues.

Traffic is flowing properly over the bridge and the VLAN tagging is working properly. However, I am unable to access the Mikrotik radio interfaces via Winbox.

Has anyone dealt with this type of situation before? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

siddkharta
just joined

Re: HP VLAN tagging with Mikrotik bridge

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 am

Seems to me, it's quite simple. Take the couple of your RB/411. The wifi1 of one RB will be AP-Bridge. The wifi1 of the second router will be Staton-bridge. After that create the Bridge1 subinterface on both of RB/411, and put Ether1 and Wifi1 of each RB/411 to corresponding Bridge1 interface. That's all. You have created the bridge between two HP switches, and everything will pass through that WIFI bridge transparently.

froese86
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 pm

siddkharta,

"You have created the bridge between two HP switches, and everything will pass through that WIFI bridge transparently." This is also what I believed was to happen. I had already created the bridge between the two radio's, and traffic was being tagged on the respective VLAN and passing over the link transparently. The VLAN tagging was working properly, as I had the port on both HP switches tagged on multiple VLANS.

My problem is this. Now that the Mikrotik radios are plugged into the tagged VLAN port on the switch (it is the uplink port, and tagged on all VLANS in order to segregate traffic), I cannot access the Mikrotik radio (via the Winbox software) which is plugged into the tagged uplink ports. I thought that since the Winbox software connected to the Mikrotik radio's via MAC address, that it would be transparent and have no issues.

siddkharta
just joined

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 am

OK. I,ve understood. Sure You have the separated VLAN for management purposes. In this case the problem can be solved like this:
1. Let me imagine that Your management VLAN is 90, for example. And both of switches can throw that vlan via their respective uplinks.
2. First You need to create that vlan on one of Your Mikrotik devices. And the interface for that 90 VLAN would be (!) interface Bridge1.
3. After You have created that VLAN 90, You need to assign the IP address to it, and (BOOM!) Your Mikrotik device is now reachable via just written ip address in Your management VLAN.
4. The same procedure is for the second device. Thats all. Try it.

Or You can try to assign the IP address for management purposes directly to Bridge1. In this case all the traffic concerning management will pass through switches as VLAN1 traffic, not tagged.

biggie16
just joined

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57 pm

I have taken over this project for Froese86, and the information provided below his post does not work.... any other insight would be much appreciated.