Community discussions

MikroTik App

dougsk
just joined
Topic Author

Design questions for retail deployment

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:18 am

An another forum, someone mentioned I should look at Mikrotik and Routerboards.

I have some design questions for approx 50 retail locations. Each location would look similar to what's seen in image below.

The locations are small in both senses, roughly 1000-2000 sq ft, approx 12-15 users, six wired nodes. I would like to offer guest and private wireless access at these locations, and although I don't need to really limit the where or what, I very much would like to track and limit the when.

I want to give the branch personnel the ability to limit loitering that will surely occur with free wifi for the guest lan. Maybe a self service voucher system so internal personnel could create a vouchers and hand them to the guests?

Now as far as actual wireless private wlan segment for internal personnel, we have active directory so if I could tie routeros through radius to active directory and capture them at web page login and authorize it for say 1 day or similar that would be ideal.

Would I be able to achieve that with UserManager? Or would I look at something like Wifidog, CoovaChilli or something else?

This seems like it would fit the bill from a hardware perspective:
Mainboard - RB493G
Case - CA493
PSU - 24HPOW
Radio - R52Hn

Thoughts and advice appreciated. Thanks.
Logical_v3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.