MikroTik App

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Migrating to Router on a stick

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 am

I used to have a simple "no VLAN" network: Router ==> Switch ==> all the rest

I would like to migrate the entire thing to a router on a stick model.
Since it's a live network, I fugured I'll migrate everything as is to a single VLAN, and once everything is stable I'll start adding VLANs and moving devices
So, for now I need to move everything from "no VLAN" to a single VLAN

I created VLAN2 on a switch and on rb450G. I would like to leave existing devices on their existing subnet, so I need to move IP address, DHCP server, etc from ether2 interface to VLAN2 interface.

Here's the question - in what order should I move things from ether2 interface to VLAN2 so I won't lock myself out of router (or disrupt the network for long time)?

Let's say I move IP address from ether2 to VLAN2 - but at this moment I'm still connected to ether2, VLAN2 isn't active yet...

What is the safest way to do it?

djmuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Migrating to Router on a stick

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Well as one of your VLAN's will have to be the untagged (default) Vlan I would leave everything on the default, set up the VLAN interfaces on the router with IP addresses, DHCP etc, then move one port to the new VLAN (IE set the untagged VLAN on that port to the new VLAN) connect your PC to it and check that it works - you should be able to get to the Router on that VLAN address, or indeed the original address if it is routing correctly....

Not quite sure why you want to do this - it is often done where you have L3 routing across LOTS of VLANs so you can save ports by sending all the VLANs down one trunk link.

David

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Migrating to Router on a stick

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Already done that, thanks anyways. Managed to lock myself out of the router during first attempt - good I took a config backup :)

As for why - to isolate VoIP adapters from broad- and multicast flying around; keep IP cameras on a separate firewalled subnet (they're exposed to outside when I port knock to access them... just in case); being able to create few SSID on my access point, each SSID on its own vlan/subnet so I can manage access to LAN resources - allow to see only some of them, etc, etc Finally, to be able to have all that above on the small switches on the other rooms/floors

I find it fairly priceless