Community discussions

MikroTik App

Glenn71
just joined
Topic Author

How to tag and untag vlans on ports?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

I have an Omnitik Base Station and SXT clients and are having problems with the configuration of vlans. What I want to do is the following:
1. Base Station:
a. Tag vlans 10 and 20 on port 1 (uplink port) where vlan 10 is the management vlan for all of the radios included the base station
b. Untag vlan 20 for internet access on Ethernet 2 through 5
c. Tag the same vlans across the wireless link towards the SXT clients so that we can manage the clients on vlan 10 and have internet access on vlan 20
2. Clients
a. Untag vlan 20 on ethernet1 so the pc, router etc connected to port ethernet1 get an ip (public ip from an external dhcp server)

None of the radios are going route or do any NATing, hence I want the radios to just bridge the vlans.

Any ideas on how I’m supposed to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

P.S: Our first try using Mikrotik products.. failure is not an option.. :)

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to tag and untag vlans on ports?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:03 am

I have an Omnitik Base Station and SXT clients and are having problems with the configuration of vlans. What I want to do is the following:
1. Base Station:
a. Tag vlans 10 and 20 on port 1 (uplink port) where vlan 10 is the management vlan for all of the radios included the base station
c. Tag the same vlans across the wireless link towards the SXT clients so that we can manage the clients on vlan 10 and have internet access on vlan 20
2. Clients
a. Untag vlan 20 on ethernet1 so the pc, router etc connected to port ethernet1 get an ip (public ip from an external dhcp server)

None of the radios are going route or do any NATing, hence I want the radios to just bridge the vlans.

Any ideas on how I’m supposed to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

P.S: Our first try using Mikrotik products.. failure is not an option.. :)
You can do this a lot more easy, but indeed...
:

1. Base Station:

Add the vlans to port, i assume by uplink u mean ether 1.
/interface vlan add name=ether1.vlan10 interface=ether1 vlan-id=10 disabled=no
/interface vlan add name=ether1.vlan20 interface=ether1 vlan-id=20 disabled=no
then add managment ip to vlan10

add a bridge. put vlan 20 and all the ethernet to the same bridge.

(if also managment needed, put a vlan10 to all ethernet, and bridge it with the eth vlan 10)

its different ways of doing this. I think the best is by wds interface.

add a bridge at AP.
put ap in ap-bridge, dynamic-wds and default wds bridge = this bridge.

2. Clients

add all clients as station-wds.

at client, add vlan10 and 20 to wireless interface. then put managment ip at vlan10 add a bridge, and put the vlan 20 interface to bridge, together with the ethernet to client.

PS, this is a bad way to do stuff like this. :D to make more easy. managment untagged, and bridge whole thing. maybe use horizon on bridge.
Or, run pppoe. (the most common way) its also possible to have both managment and internet ip at same vlan (untag and or tag). and just filter acces from client to managment.

Glenn71
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks Samsung, we tried this and it didn' work..

The clients were preconfigured from our supplier, but did not work in accordance to specs given from us regarding mgt vlan and internet vlan. So we will try resetting the client and start from scratch.. I'll let you know how it goes..

-G-

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks Samsung, we tried this and it didn' work..

The clients were preconfigured from our supplier, but did not work in accordance to specs given from us regarding mgt vlan and internet vlan. So we will try resetting the client and start from scratch.. I'll let you know how it goes..

-G-
Always do a system reset, (and r after boot) to new equipment if u'll need special config.