Community discussions

MikroTik App

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Two radius server - what's the main one?

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Hello people,

If I configure two radius server for ppp authentication the Mikrotik doesn't respect the order and make queries em both servers. Can I configure the main radius server and the secondary radius server for the Mikrotik just query the secondary if the main is out?

PS: I don't want to use netwatch or some kind of script to do it, I prefer some radius configuration solution.

Thanks very much

Fabrício

TheWiFiGuy

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 pm

I was under the impression that it does respect the order as my seconday has very few hits.

Have you tried increasing the timeout on thefirst in case its too short and hitting the second?

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Two radius server - what's the main one?

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:57 pm

I was under the impression that it does respect the order as my seconday has very few hits.

Have you tried increasing the timeout on thefirst in case its too short and hitting the second?
Thanks for the reply, but I don't belive that is the order because the main Freeradius server is local on the same switch of the NAS and I saw some queries beeing sent to the backup server... I think that the Mikrotik makes a kind of load balance on the radius servers.

thanks!

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks for the reply, but I don't belive that is the order because the main Freeradius server is local on the same switch of the NAS and I saw some queries beeing sent to the backup server... I think that the Mikrotik makes a kind of load balance on the radius servers.

thanks!
I'm pretty sure it's fail over. I see almost no requests sent to the server that is second in the list.

I also remember seeing requests sent to both servers at boot, but I may be imagining things....Perhaps this is to see who is awake?

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 am

thanks!
I'm pretty sure it's fail over. I see almost no requests sent to the server that is second in the list.

I also remember seeing requests sent to both servers at boot, but I may be imagining things....Perhaps this is to see who is awake?
Thanks for replay reverged!
You said that "I see almost no requests sent to the server that is second in the list" I think that is the problem, I see the major part of requests sent to the first server too, but I see some request sent to the second server too, than I think that the NAS (Mikrotik) send some authentication requests to the second server too and it doesn't keeping it as a backup.

I need to know the right for that the MK works with Radius server to define the policy to work.

thanks!

TheWiFiGuy

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Are your radius servers not using the same data source?

A quick chat with a few here at the mum and the concensus is that it does use the right order but noone has been able to shed any light on those few requests that make it through.

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Are your radius servers not using the same data source?

A quick chat with a few here at the mum and the concensus is that it does use the right order but noone has been able to shed any light on those few requests that make it through.
Hi TheWiFiGuy, thanks for you reply!

Yes, the both freeradius has the same data source!
I don't know why the NAS does some requests to the second server... I'm trying to solve because I want that the NAS does the requests to the nearest FreeRadius server (with lowest latency) and just use the another server if the preferencial is out.

Thanks

TheWiFiGuy

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Are they actual user requests - can you ru. Freeradius-X to see the traffic. Im wondering if theres any checks that the mikrotik does to confirm if its a valid radiusserver which may accountfor the requests