Community discussions

MikroTik App

nalz
just joined
Topic Author

RouterBoard HDLC Encapsulation

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 am

Greetings,

Currently I'm building a connection from our customer, one of their requirements force use to support Cisco's HDLC encapsulation. But switching or purchasing Cisco wasn't in our current plan (Currently we are using RB493AH). At our end side, we will get only RJ-45 not RS232 or V35 connector.

Does anyone could point me to the right direction so the connection can be configured correctly? Many thanks for your advise.

Regards,
Nalz

riggerman

Re: RouterBoard HDLC Encapsulation

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi,

If you do a search in the forum you will come across a couple of posts relating to HDLC and there are solutions mentioned there - I'm not sure which if any of the line cards work in the latest ROS release and would suggest an alternative:

Look at a Serial(HDLC) to IP converter - maybe similar to : http://www.luxcom.com/products.asp?cat=9 or similar.

This means a simple device to get you to IP and then use Mikrotik from there. In the past I've picked up second hand 1700 series Ciscos to literally do the conversion to IP and then put a Mikrotik behind it - might be your easiest option.

Regardt