Community discussions

MikroTik App

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Vlan on a bridge?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Should a Vlan work ok i if it's been added to a bridge in routerOS?

I have an RB751U-2HnD at home connected to a d-link DES-1100-16 switch, ROS is version 5.14 RB firmware 2.38
I wanted to create a "Guest" Vlan (802.1q tag = 16) which provides internet access only and doesn't allow access to my internal network.
I configured the switch so that port 16 (the uplink) was untagged Vlan1, Tagged Vlan16, Pvid = 1
I configured Port 2 on the switch Untagged Vlan16, Pvid=16 and saved the config on the switch.

A DHCP server was setup and bound to the Vlan interface on routerOS but I could not seem to pass any traffic whatsoever on this Vlan, I even tried manually configuring the IP on my Client device and pinging the RB's ip address but that didn't work either.

I also tried moving the Vlan interface directly onto the RouterOS Ethernet port, but that didn't seem to work either.

In the end I gave up using Vlans on routerOS and just used another Ethernet port on the routerboard Untagged into the guest Vlan on the D-link switch, This port is on a separate bridge with just it and a VirtualAP interface.

I have Vlans working properly on other Routerboards but I don't think any of those interfaces are on Bridges so now I'm not sure if it's RB751 specific issue, I'd misconfigured it or the D-Link just wasn't tagging packets properly on the Uplink port. Sadly I don't have any other Vlan Capable switches at home to test with.

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Vlan on a bridge?

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:52 am

vlans work on ports or bridges, it depends on what you want to do.

Do you want guests to connect to the virtual AP, bridge to vlan 16 and then end up on a different port on the dlink?
Then add vlan 16 to the RB port, also tagged on the dlink port and bridge the virtual AP to vlan 16 in the RB.
Don't bridge the RB ethernet port - you will lose the vlan.

I'm having trouble understanding what the dlink is doing and where is your internet connection?

a diagram?

When in doubt, run torch on the port with "vlan" checked. You will see what the RB sees.

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Vlan on a bridge?

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 pm

The D-link was supposed to be putting anything connected to it's port 2 on the guest Vlan (Vlan 16)

I did also have a virtual AP defined but wasn't worried about that untill I had sorted the wired side.

The ethernet port was on a bridge so that might well have been the problem, for now I'll leave it how it is because although not the most ideal configuration it is at least working how i wanted.

I'll also try and borrow another switch with Vlan support so I can test to see if it's just a case of the D-link not tagging packets correctly.