Community discussions

MikroTik App

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Bonding Wireless links

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:51 pm

I attached a pretty poor drawing of the network in question. I need to get two vlans across the wireless bridges with Load Balancing if possible. I figured someone else has run into this at some point, the bridges are currently working properly but in etherchannel, I cannot monitor them obviously nor manage them, so I'm looking to do some routing. I should mention VLAN 60 is DATA, and VLAN 70 are Phones. What would be the best method for this? I have a huge workload right now and this just got added to my plate. Thanks!

The wireless bridges are UBNT RocketM5's the RB's are RB450G's and cisco switches in both the old building(Layer3) and the new building (Layer2).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by whoknew on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Routed Vlans

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 am

Okay first thing... You control both sides so standard load balancing is not required. Use INTERFACE BONDING
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bonding

Make sure your UBNT equipment is in transparent bridge mode so your VLAN tags are passed.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 am

I do want to bond the wireless ubnt rockets, I dont need to bond to the switches. I was under the impression that bonding from the rb450g would be the exact same setup that I have now? Maybe I'm reading that wrong. I essentially need to carry up to 200Mbps on the wireless bridges and the two vlans mentioned, 60 for data and 70 for voice. Will the bonding accomplish this?

edit: ty tws for responding.

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 am

you bound two interfaces of RB linked to ubnt

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Yes, http://wiki.ubnt.com/Mikrotik_bonding

I'm doing this exactly right now, I am still trying to figure out how to make the routerboard and bridges transparent to carry the VLAN 60 and 70.

Essentially ether3 and ether 4 right now are the two slaves in the bonding. The bridges are configured properly as well, the bonding is working out well, I just need to get the vlans across.

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:03 pm

okay bonding the interfaces on the two RB was the correct thing to do for load balancing and fail over.

Now to make it transparent L2 bridge... This will get your VLANS across.

Login to the AIROS of the Rocket WIRELESS TAB WIRELESS MODE WDS (Access Point WDS or Station WDS respectively) [If you are on the new firmware 5.5 the WDS is a check box under the wireless mode]

Now it will act as if the Rockets are just Ethernet cables going between the RBs.

Reference Air OS manual for firmware 5.5 pages 18 and 19
http://dl.ubnt.com/guides/airOS/airOS_U ... -20-12.pdf

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:34 pm

The Rockets are in StationWDS and AccessPointWDS respectively. The ports that the RB450's connect to the cisco switches are in question at this point for me. I have them trunked to allow vlan 60,70 with vlan 60 being native. I am now wondering how I setup ether 1 on the RB450's, do I add VLAN 60 and 70 to the ether1 interface or not add them at all and attached an IP in the 60 vlan range to ether1 on both RB450s?

I will be able to manage the rockets still?

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes you add Vlans to the mikrotik interface. Your native vlan 60 will need to be tagged before it reaches the mikrotik.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 am

I have it setup currently in a test situation, the 2 routerboards are connected directly, I took the wireless bridges out for right now and wanted to test 2 Gbps ports in a bonded situation. I am only seeing 500Mbps or so going across in a bandwidth test between the 2 boards. Should it not be 2Gbps? or is the bandwidth test limited to 500Mbps?

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Ok, I cannot get this to work. I am getting 200Mbps on the wireless bridges with the RB450's have 2 bonded ether ports. That works great.

I cannot grasp however how I will be able to manage the wireless bridges inside of that bond. I need to be able to get to their GUI's from the internal LAN.

Also on my cisco switches I have this config on both sides:

interface 0/1 - 0/12
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 70

interface 0/13 - 0/23
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 60

interface 0/24
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 60,70
switchport trunk native vlan 60

On the RB450's they have identical configs as well. This is where I get extremely confused. From an access port on either switch that is on vlan 60 I can ping the switch and the RB450 on its respective side. I have to add an IP on the ether1 ports to be able to ping, why is this not working when I attach it to vlan 60 interface on both of the routers. Inside the bond I have both bridges on the same subnet and the bonding1 interface is on the same subnet. If I plug into an access port on either switch I should be able to ping the far side RB450g on its ether1 interface,bonding1 interface and be able to ping the other side switch no? Also I should be able to access the RocketM5's in between?

Also how does management inside of that bonding work? I really need to get to the bridges, also I need to monitor from a Nagios box.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Bonding Wireless links

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:22 am

Ok,

So I have been trying to set this up, and still no luck. I have removed the native vlan so that vlan 60 and 70 are both tagged before making it to either mikrotik.

ether1 on both RB450gs connect to the cisco switches on both sides. On both RB450g's I have ether 2 and ether 3 setup as the bonding1 with the rockets connected to those.

If I do a bandwidth test it works perfectly. The problem arises with the vlans being carried for sure. I have tried every configuration I can think of to get this to work, I even went as far as making a bridge and adding ether1 and bonding1 to the bridge and attaching the vlan 60,70 to the bridge. It appears that creates a loop or some sort of instability. I'm sort of stuck, has no one else ever set this up? Please don't recommend using OSPF b.c that will not achieve what I need.

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Okay after further research I think I have found the issue. We are losing the VLAN tags when the packets go through the router to the bonded interfaces.

Lets re-tag them in the RB switch.

Switch Rule
Select ports and IP range Action New VLAN ID.

I have not tested this but you may need to add the VLAN in the switch as well. ALSO this will need to be done on both routers and on both the bonded ports as well as the trunk ports. (That may be overkill and may just need to be done on the Bonded ports on both sides only)

Further testing is warranted.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:55 pm

I found this (http://lansklad.ru/articles/nastroyka_o ... _1204.html), I did have to translate it, I think they are doing exactly what I'm wanting to do as well. The problem is I can't see the rest of the configuration used.

I can try and add the tags I haven't dabbled in setting up rules or adding a vlanid on the RB. I did go back to creating the bridge and adding the bonding1 and ether1 interfaces to it, I can ping from switch to switch, but I can't ping the opposing sides RB interface.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm

just tried the rule as well as adding the vlan to the switch. does not appear to work. It does work as soon as I bridge bonding1 and ether1 on both sides. I cannot ping from anything to the inside's of the rb's though (ether1, vlan 60 ip address). I suspect this is something to do with the vlan tags being removed.

rado3105

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Works bonding for anybody without doing vlan? What is the average latency after bonding links?