Community discussions

MikroTik App

nickb
Topic Author

nstreme stability 5.12+

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Has anybody else noticed major problems with nstreme (v1) stability since v5.12?

I have been using nstreme for years on all of my ptp links to prevent collisions, quite effectively, all of these links have been in place for many years, have great signal and great CCQ.

After upgrading to 5.12 or beyond (most are on 5.14 right now), we found that nstreme became very flaky/unstable and would disconnect with "too many poll timeouts" error messages, then not come back for seconds, minutes, or sometimes even hours (unless the CLIENT was rebooted). In ALL cases switching to nv2 has been completely stable.

I didn't observe any problems like this with <5.12.

BrinkNetworks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: nstreme stability 5.12+

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 pm

We had been noticing something was up too....

At some point I may write a post with screen shots and examples but until then I'll share this...

Shortly after we started deploying 5.x we started noticing formally robust links were not quite as stable.

We revisited our configurations and started making changes to each setting and testing the results.

Interestingly, the distance setting was making a very noticeable difference. Up until recently we had never seen any improvement in performance when changing the distance settings on our links.

Now we started going through all of our APs....prioritized by the tallest and setting the distance on the AP to +5 KM to the furthest Client out and +2 to 3 KM to the Clients themselves.

In doing this - we're actually seeing the best latency and throughput we've ever seen on our APs.....

Again - If I have a chance I'll post some examples - until then I'd say test it out and see what you get...I'd be interested to know if you experience the same improvement.