Community discussions

MikroTik App

buckett
just joined
Topic Author

DNS server unresponsive

Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 pm

I've got a 751G-2HnD running and connecting to the internet through a PPTP connection and it was all working fine. But then things stopped working, the connection was up and I was able to ping hosts through the ping tool, however the DNS server running on the Mikrotik was no longer responding to requests. I'm running 5.15 and with firmware 2.38. The DNS server is set to cache responses and forward requests to my upstream provider, the domain ports were open.

Restarting the DNS server on the Mikrotik got the DNS server working again. I would just get rid of the DNS server and had out my upstream DNS servers in DHCP leases, but I find resolution of local DNS names useful.

Are there know issues with the DNS server? Any suggestions?

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DNS server unresponsive

Sat May 12, 2012 12:39 am

I've got a 751G-2HnD running and connecting to the internet through a PPTP connection and it was all working fine. But then things stopped working, the connection was up and I was able to ping hosts through the ping tool, however the DNS server running on the Mikrotik was no longer responding to requests. I'm running 5.15 and with firmware 2.38. The DNS server is set to cache responses and forward requests to my upstream provider, the domain ports were open.

Restarting the DNS server on the Mikrotik got the DNS server working again. I would just get rid of the DNS server and had out my upstream DNS servers in DHCP leases, but I find resolution of local DNS names useful.

Are there know issues with the DNS server? Any suggestions?

I have seen kind of same trobble with pppoe. if a link have been somehow down, between pppoe server, and client, but pppoe stil up running without reconnect, it have some trobble resolving dns. Its a strange issue, and i have found no other solution, than reconnect pppoe.