Community discussions

MikroTik App

ragomez
just joined
Topic Author

Mac address changes cause a down network

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello everyone,

We have deployed several wireless networks using Mikrotik devices. Mainly, AP bridges are RB433AH, and WDS stations are Groove 5Hn.
In AP Bridge, static IP is set to the bridge, as well as in Groove stations.
Bridge is set to "auto-mac=yes" as it is as default, same in stations.
In this way, mac of the bridge is get by the lowest mac-address of the ports inside the bridge (in my case ether1 and wlan1 in groove and ether1 and wdsN in case of AP)

All this works in some customers, but not in others, causing a totally down network.

I think it is related to the change of the mac-address in the bridge that it is seen by switches on rest of network (mainly Cisco with default configuration).

Also, I think I can solve it setting "auto-mac=no" and writing a static mac to the bridge, but.....

Why this down network behaviour is appearing in some networks, and not in others?

What parameter in switches has to be checked in other to avoid a down network when the mac-address of an IP changes?

Thanks for your help.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mac address changes cause a down network

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:09 pm

It isn't clear to me why you think the MAC address would change - unless you change the ports which are members of the bridge.

ragomez
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mac address changes cause a down network

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:02 am

When ethernet port is disabled in bridge because cable is unplugged, mac of the bridge changes from the ethernet one to the wlan mac.

i.e
mac ether1 -> 00:00:00:00:00:01
mac wlan1 -> 00:00:00:00:00:02

if both ports are enabled and running mac of the bridge will be -> 00:00:00:00:00:01

if ether1 is disabled -> mac of the bridge -> 00:00:00:00:00:02 (wlan1 mac)

Better to understand now?

Thanks.