MikroTik App

cololine
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Looking for tips: capturing data for crash post-mortum

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello -

I'm soliciting suggestions on various types of logging that can be set on RouterOS, that would be useful in analyzing the cause of a router crash. I've already set the four default logging types - info, warning, error and critical - to log to disk so that I have a file to examine after a crash and reboot. There are may other log types to choose from, but I really don't know enough to know which ones would be useful. Also, right now I'm logging to the CF on the router, so space is limited, though I'm aware that RouterOS has the ability to log to a remote location and I guess I'd set that up if I was logging more data.

But anyway - other recommendations of data to capture, aside from system logs?

Thanks!
Ed

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Looking for tips: capturing data for crash post-mortum

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 am

be careful to log to CF. Ita easy destroyed by to manny rewrites.

log to a syslog server, and if you want a lot of information. Log debug.

cololine
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Looking for tips: capturing data for crash post-mortum

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:01 am

be careful to log to CF. Ita easy destroyed by to many rewrites. Log to a syslog server, and if you want a lot of information. Log debug.
Thanks, I'm using industrial grade CF that supports 2M write cycles and also rotates writing regions like other CF, so I think I'm safe to do this short-term. I also don't plan to log this info indefinitely, just for a couple of months or so. But I'll take a look at doing a syslog setup and moving stuff over to that. I did enable debug to memory for a bit and saw it generate quite a bit of data, but since I'm mainly looking for major errors I'm not sure how useful it will be and I'm currently not logging it.

One thing that occurs to me - if some kind of error interferes with network connectivity on the router, the remote syslog approach will defeat my purpose, since the router will not be able to reach the remote log server. But logs stored on the local "disk" (CF) can still be written.