MikroTik App

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Generic performance optimisation topic

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi,

It came up to my mind that there is no (at least, not yet) global or generic documentation about tuning routerboard/routerOS for optimal performance.

For now, I'm considering queueing (even if I don't do any QoS on my router), because I accidentaly "discovered" (in this topic) some new queue types (new in a sense that I don't recall them to be available when I first setup my device back in the days).

So, basically, I'm wondering how it's implemented/working, and if it's really worthy switching to them on all RB hardwares: is "only-hardware-queue" equivalent to doing some qlen=0 on the interface at OS level on a *nix system? And "multi-queue-ethernet-default", does it refers to the driver/NIC feature to have multiple internal queues (high-end NICs and virtualization dedicated hadware have that)? So basically, in both case, in my understanding we disable the OS handling and give it all to the driver?

If you have some other suggestions/tips on other topics thant queue types, feel free to share :)

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Generic performance optimisation topic

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:25 pm

So no one knows how queueing works on rOS?