Community discussions

MikroTik App

suntek
just joined
Topic Author

ROS server router hardware support

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Hello,

I have registered to ask few questions about X86 version of RouterOS, which I am planning to deploy for a company on the core router. I don't actually have any experience with such solution, only hardware routing so far, but for the client I need a solution with ability to provide inter-VLAN routing, managing multicast IPTV, VOIP, wireless access, limiting user data/time of service availibility and so.

I understand, that RouterOS is capable of all mentioned above and hopefully it will be easy to learn the OS in time. But I have concerns on hardware support of the OS. With over 100 nodes in the network (PCs, printers, IP cameras, VOIP), I am looking for a server with a dual core processor (for example Xeon) with at least 2GB RAM. But I am worried about the other hardware support. I found the wiki page with list of supported hardware, which is not very...long.

I tried the ROS in VirtualBox just today and I have failed just to boot it with SATA HDD, only with IDE. I have searched the forum and found that I should try other BIOS options for SATA controller which seems to be a solution.

But my question is: how high is the chance of improper running of ROS on brand new hardware? My server solution is something like this:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-3328421-3884343.html?dnr=1
Is ROS solution for what I want to achieve? Should I be worried about the hardware support?

Thank you for the answer in advance.