Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ehman
Topic Author

RB951-2n and RouterBoard 751G design questions?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:58 am

Hi

I've got a question:

Why is the RB951-2n only 17dBm TX and not 20dBm or more
and why does it have a 1.5dBi antenna in and not a external option for a bigger antenna, I don't see the point in this low powered unit.

For what application/purpose/project is this unit best suited for?

and adding SMA connectors to all units like this would be AWESOME!

the MMCX connector really sux! on the RouterBoard 751G, because now you cant just screw a antenna on, you have to buy a pigtail and then put in all in a big casing so that it can somehow look good for the client if its a hotspot or something, ......or you can just build your own plastic case for the routerboard thats somehow a no no for a business, might cost thousands, because it will need to be custom made, ice cream bucket wont look cool 8)

thx

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm

951 is a home AP. if you need high power + external ant, go for the 751.

Ehman
Topic Author

Re: RB951-2n and RouterBoard 751G design questions?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:29 pm

951 is a home AP. if you need high power + external ant, go for the 751.
and how do I mount the pigtail to the RB751 without making the AP look cheap, ....clearly stated in my my first post?

RF Pigtail is for the "MMCX to SMA Female Reverse Polarity"

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm

You also clearly asked:
.. Hence my answer. Easy on the arrogance mate, you're getting free help here.

As for your external ant question, why do you need it? There are other RBs and cases which are 'industrial neat' and give you an N connector - like the RB400 range.

Actually, I don't see the point of a single antenna connector (of any form factor) on a 2x2 MIMO device, but that's another topic.

Ehman
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:14 pm

You also clearly asked:
.. Hence my answer. Easy on the arrogance mate, you're getting free help here.

As for your external ant question, why do you need it? There are other RBs and cases which are 'industrial neat' and give you an N connector - like the RB400 range.

Actually, I don't see the point of a single antenna connector (of any form factor) on a 2x2 MIMO device, but that's another topic.

hehehe, sorry mate, I guess, I asked to many questions at the same time and replied without thinking, hehehe, I'm kinda upset also because I cant find a solution to a hotspot billing system thats cool, I wish!! user manager had more features like sms and a control panel for users on login page and more payment gateways to it, I cant find that anywhere, I'm sitting with radius manager and I'm not liking it all all..to complex and so many things that can go wrong

and for the "industrial neat" I'm looking for a replacement for the linksys 54wrt looking units, something thats a access point with some external antennas and thats mikrotik inside, I hate the low gain antennas

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:31 am

Even I would support RP SMA connector on the the Mikrotik Box be it 951 or 751. Rubber duck antenna with SMA connector female are easily available and in varied ranges 2 -10 dbi so u can use accordingly. 2 dbi internal antennas don't really do the job. You don't normally use Mikrotik gear for a 200 sq. ft. room and those customers neways go for the cheap Tplink or Belkin routers in the market. Mikrotik is more suited for enterprise kinda usage.
Mr. Ghassan in a post on this forum has made a 751 with SMA connectors but I don't want to play with a soldering iron.

Ehman
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Even I would support RP SMA connector on the the Mikrotik Box be it 951 or 751. Rubber duck antenna with SMA connector female are easily available and in varied ranges 2 -10 dbi so u can use accordingly. 2 dbi internal antennas don't really do the job. You don't normally use Mikrotik gear for a 200 sq. ft. room and those customers neways go for the cheap Tplink or Belkin routers in the market. Mikrotik is more suited for enterprise kinda usage.
Mr. Ghassan in a post on this forum has made a 751 with SMA connectors but I don't want to play with a soldering iron.
Yea, I also don't wanna play with a soldering iron on the circuit board, I've seen that mod from with the SMA connectors on the 751

but with mikrotik one can do so much, and these days, hotspots is getting popular and using mikrotik for hotspots is aweseome, its top class, but they serious have to design it right.

ONLY applies for the "RouterBoard Integrated" units, like 751 and 951-2n and probably some future units to