Community discussions

MikroTik App

taduikis
Topic Author

Routing public subnet to client pool

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 am

Greetings folks,

this is more like a general networking question than mikrotik related, but I thought some of you might provide some suggestions out of personal experience.

Next month I'm obtaining a public IP block (PA) from RIPE which will be statically routed to us by our upstream provider. I intend to assign these IP addresses for clients and have few for our own public services like web,email,etc.. I wonder what would be the best routing scenario? I mean number of routers and their setups. IMO it could be done by a single router on our edge having WAN and LAN sides, but I'm not sure it's the way to go.. My AP's are bridged and most of them separated by vlan's, clients are NAT'ed at CPE's. So basically the CPE's have to get public ip's on their WAN ifaces. There are a little more than couple of hundred devices in the network currently, but I already feel a need to do little reorganization since later it could be a lot more difficult.

The obtained block is only /24 so nothing big to slice out. I believe I do have an option to do BGP, but for now I would prefer not to.

taduikis
Topic Author

Re: Routing public subnet to client pool

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:27 am

So no insights? :)

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 am

what about pppoe? it's a lot of possibilities, but pppoe is commonly used.
Also possible to combine with other scenarioes like bgp, ospf, mpls etc etc.

taduikis
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 am

pppoe is for client authorization. I have other means of managing them. I'm wondering more about isp side..