MikroTik App

maxcuban
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Going through hell with RouterOs setup. pls help

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:10 am

Hi everyone,

this is my first time trying to use Mikrotik Routeros and setting it up is taking me through hell.!!!
I've intalled routeros on a pc and want to use it as a router for just hotspot billing and authentication.

I have already installed it and have to connect remotely via winbox.
Once winbox starts downloading it goes for about a few seconds and i get the following feedback:

when connecting via i.p:
could not fetch index from 192.168.0.1:80: not found.

when connecting via MAC address setup:
could not get roteros.dll: no inital reply.

I've gone through the forum and tried the following options but none seems to work:
Randy601,

You are going to want to delete the following folder: "%appdata%\mikrotik". Then re-run the executable and you should be fine.

Matt
but nothing changed

Delete everything in the following folder. %userprofile%\Application Data\Mikrotik and also delete any winbox.exe you may have.

Then once you do that, download http://www.mikrotik.com/download/winbox.exe

Try that and see what happens.

Matt
still nothing
FYI, ThreatFire is one such 'antivirus' that can cause this and missing menu items to occur.
in fact, i disabled both my firewall and antivirus (microsoft security essentials) but i got no results

I have RouterOs v. 5.19 and winbox v2.2.18

i have also tried the same thing from another computer and have made no progress.

Please help

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Going through hell with RouterOs setup. pls help

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43 am

Do you connect directly with stright cable? i have seen this issue if going trough some switches etc.
Also some nic chipset give this error more than other. Are u sure its correct ip? what if you try to connect to the ip using web browser? possible to ping?

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:49 am

Are you trying to connect through the hotspot to your routeros install?

maxcuban
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 pm

no i just installed. it and can't connect to winbox remotely to even get the interface to install the license or set up the hotspot

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 pm

What does the CLI say on your X86? Did your trial license expire?

maxcuban
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:45 pm

no pls. the CLI doesnt show that it expires. when i restart it, i see i have 19 hours more until expiry.

maxcuban
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Do you connect directly with stright cable? i have seen this issue if going trough some switches etc.
Also some nic chipset give this error more than other. Are u sure its correct ip? what if you try to connect to the ip using web browser? possible to ping?
the router ip is 192.168.0.1
so i set the ip to 192.168.0.1/15 (tried a couple of ips though after reinstalling it)

i've connect the pc (the one i've installed routeros on) through cable to a wireless router and am accessing the winbox through my laptop which i've also connected to the router wirelessly. it is able to see my system MAC Address and ip alright as well as version of mikrotik installed.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 am

Try plugging directly into your laptop and see if you can connect it via mac address.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 am

the router ip is 192.168.0.1
so i set the ip to 192.168.0.1/15 (tried a couple of ips though after reinstalling it)

i've connect the pc (the one i've installed routeros on) through cable to a wireless router and am accessing the winbox through my laptop which i've also connected to the router wirelessly. it is able to see my system MAC Address and ip alright as well as version of mikrotik installed.

hi maxcuban...

do you have any update on the roteros.dll issue?? were you able to connect?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi again,

Today I am facing this problem tremendously when I upgraded the RouterOS to the latest release on a RB711 board at a client site.

I am really worried how can I get this solved. I cannot keep climbing up and bringing the antenna enclosure down always.

I have to assign an IP to the board and hence through WINBOX when I try connecting using the MAC ID the routeros.dll error crops up and also hangs the process.

someone please help,

normis are you around??

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 am

Try plugging directly into your laptop and see if you can connect it via mac address.
I suggest to do this as well

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:57 am

I suggest to do this as well

some strange behaviour by RouterBoard (RB-711) today.

the RB was reset and configuration wiped out hence it had no IP so when I tried with WINBOX I could see the MAC and when I tried connecting to the WINBOX it failed misrebaly and could not connect. I was directly connected from the laptop to the RB. WINBOX showed me the MAC but the roteros.dll error was coming constantly when tried to connect. the distance between the laptop and RB was around 70 meters.

I went up bought the RB down from the pole and connected using a patch cord to the MAC and !!BINGO!! I was connected in a second. i gave the RB an IP and reinstalled the required configuration.

After this I placed the RB again on the Pole at the end of 70 meter CAT5 cable and now when I tried connecting to the IP it was doing that in a flash no more problems. before all this I had upgraded the ROS to the latest v6rc from 5.22

why is this happeneing that when using LAYER2 connection (through (MAC) with the long distance (70 meters) between the laptop and routerboard with the latest ROS I am facing the problems??

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:57 am

A tip to try to get rid of the error routeros.dll blah blah blah is to delete all folders in this path:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:13 pm

This problem occurs sometime with Windows 7 as well, because of User Account Control (UAC) settings. If it happens in Windows 7, try to run once the winbox as administrator. I think that UAC is not allowing winbox to create the folders and files needed to run when executed as normal user. Running as administrator once, it will create said files, and after that will run normally.