MikroTik App

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Problems with dual WAN connections

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Morning all.

I have 2 Cable modems, a 120Mb and a 60Mb. they are router/firewall/VOIP boxes from my ISP (UPC) so they give out internal IP addresses. DHCP server is turned off on them, DMZ is on pointing at an internal IP, firewall off, wifi off, anonymous connections allowed... both configs are identical, except for IPs... they are 192.168.55.1 and 192.168.56.1. DMZ is set to 192.168.XX.2.

I have an RB750G with 2 of the ports set to WAN 1 and WAN2. they are uisng the 192.168.XX.2 address from above, and use the 192.168.XX.1 port as gateway...

I setup a PCC connection between the 2 WAN connections (See here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63785) and all was going well, but in the last few days, not so good...

Every now and again, connections are dropping... some sites work perfectly, others just fail. I have connected both modems directly to a laptop, and tried different things, and they work as planned... The only way to get it to work again is to restore a backup from a point in time... and then it only works for 8-10 hours and falls over again...

I am now wondering 2 things: 1: would this be a hardware issue? ie, is there enough RAM in the router for this? The RB750G has 32Mb ram, so would something with more do a better job? and 2: is there a different option than using PCC for load balancing connections?

Thanks.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Problems with dual WAN connections

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Ok, so this has happened 2 or 3 times since i posted this, and the only solution i can find is restoring the last backed up config... Rebooting the router, pulling the cable and plugging it back in, and using the interface to do a shutdown and then rebooting all have no effect... when restarting the config, i do nothing to the modems... very odd and a little annoying... any ideas?