Community discussions

MikroTik App

NoName
just joined
Topic Author

P-t-P 2x SEXTANT 5HnD, VLAN tagging, multicast

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 pm

I have a rather a specific problem with a point to point installation of two SEXTANTs.

All the traffic from my network should be VLAN tagged towards the provider therefore I created a new VLAN on ether1-local interface and bridged it with wlan1; on the second point (e.g. the other SEXTANT) I bridged ether1-local and wlan1. So far so good, as all the 5GHz band is free and nv2 is used - the connection works like a charm with speeds at about 78/78 Mbps according to webmin and actual speeds are about 5MB/s both ways.

Anyhow, I'd also like to bridge multicast traffic. IGMPv2 joins/parts is generated on a computer connected directly to ether1-local port on sextant 2, and multicast traffic is sent - you guessed it - untagged - from network, connected to ether1-local on first SEXTANT. So the problem is the multicast traffic isn't bridged.

Any ideas what could be done?

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: P-t-P 2x SEXTANT 5HnD, VLAN tagging, multicast

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 am

I have a rather a specific problem with a point to point installation of two SEXTANTs.

All the traffic from my network should be VLAN tagged towards the provider therefore I created a new VLAN on ether1-local interface and bridged it with wlan1; on the second point (e.g. the other SEXTANT) I bridged ether1-local and wlan1. So far so good, as all the 5GHz band is free and nv2 is used - the connection works like a charm with speeds at about 78/78 Mbps according to webmin and actual speeds are about 5MB/s both ways.

Anyhow, I'd also like to bridge multicast traffic. IGMPv2 joins/parts is generated on a computer connected directly to ether1-local port on sextant 2, and multicast traffic is sent - you guessed it - untagged - from network, connected to ether1-local on first SEXTANT. So the problem is the multicast traffic isn't bridged.

Any ideas what could be done?
use wds