Community discussions

MikroTik App

VanceG
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Hotspot question

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:12 pm

I have set up a hotspot on an RB750UP that is working well with individual user devices.

However, I have one user who has a static IP assigned to his device that seems to be bypassing the hotspot.

I can see his activity in the log, but there are no login messages as you would normally see there from the hotspot server, and the hotspot stats user counter is not incrementing (he is the only user right now).

I know if I set his device to DHCP, it'll probably work fine (he is known to me and the current way he's getting in isn't a problem), but I am curious as to why this is happening.

Any ideas? Any way to force a device with a static IP to go through the login sequence?

I'm pretty sure this is just a misconfiguration on my part as the whole hotspot thing is new to me.

Thanks.

vinloi
just joined

Re: Hotspot question

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 pm

In my case, I have 2 users with static ip set by the users themselves. However, they still are redirected to the login page, unless the idle timeout has not expired.
But they don't appear on the list of leased clients in the IP DHCP list

VanceG
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot question

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:00 am

Had a chat with the user and figured it out. He was confused by Windows 7's broadband/PPPOE network settings and had them all screwed up.

I believe the traffic I was seeing in the log were the ATTEMPTS to get to Web sites - they were recorded there, but didn't increment the hotspot counters. Had to study the log traffic a bit more closely to see this. He said that he wasn't able to open any Web pages at all, not even the hotspot page. Probably due to the network settings on his computer.

Anyway, got him back on DHCP (where he wanted to be anyway) and all is well.