Community discussions

MikroTik App

wirelesswaves
Topic Author

Can Skype be crashing my Gateway router

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:43 pm

A few weeks ago, my rb433uah starting crashing for no apparent reason. I downloaded to ros4.17 and the problem went away.

So after 2.5 days I reinstalled ros 5.11.. ( I previously tried 5.14, 5.18 and 5.20) But all suffered the same problem.

At the same time as I reinstalled 5.11, one of my customers was using a mobile phone with a skype app.

She was using it at stupid hours of the night, from 10pm until 3am.. The times that the router crashed were around the same times that this client was using her phone.

She is now living elsewhere (for a while) and for the last 3 days the router has not crashed.

I see some posts regarding other issues relating to the rb951 product and skype.

Is there any possibility that the same problem is affecting the rb433 with ros5.xx series.

Anyone else noticed this! or am I becoming paranoid and in need of therapy!

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can Skype be crashing my Gateway router

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:40 pm

A few weeks ago, my rb433uah starting crashing for no apparent reason. I downloaded to ros4.17 and the problem went away.

So after 2.5 days I reinstalled ros 5.11.. ( I previously tried 5.14, 5.18 and 5.20) But all suffered the same problem.

At the same time as I reinstalled 5.11, one of my customers was using a mobile phone with a skype app.

She was using it at stupid hours of the night, from 10pm until 3am.. The times that the router crashed were around the same times that this client was using her phone.

She is now living elsewhere (for a while) and for the last 3 days the router has not crashed.

I see some posts regarding other issues relating to the rb951 product and skype.

Is there any possibility that the same problem is affecting the rb433 with ros5.xx series.

Anyone else noticed this! or am I becoming paranoid and in need of therapy!
Define "crash". Does the router become completely unresponsive and requires a power cycle? Does it start working by itself later with no intervention? Does it just drop packets?

If this really is happening, PLEASE send supout and a description to support@mikrotik.com so they can fix it!

wirelesswaves
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:10 pm

The router reboots, "router was rebooted without proper shutdown (cause 1)"

2 rifs sent to support 5 mins ago.

Ros4.17 is unaffected.. But seems that ros5.xx had same problem regardless of version..

Currently back on ros5.11, but the client has moved on and no longer uses the phone.

She is expected to return in the next couple of weeks, it will be interesting to see if the problem returns.

No reboots over the last three days, and she left last Friday.

Simon

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Skype sends UPNP nat traversal requests. Could this be the issue?