Community discussions

MikroTik App

iprob
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

L2TP using separate DHCP server

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:16 am

I'm trying to get L2TP to use IP addresses from a DHCP server behind the MikroTik. The L2TP connections come in and successfully authenticate against the Radius server, then are disconnected with "no network protocols running". I'm sure this is because an IP isn't getting assigned since I don't have a pool set up.

How would I tell the MikroTik to use the DHCP server behind the MikroTik to assign an IP to the incoming connections? I tried using a DHCP relay but that didn't change the result.

Any help is appreciated...

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: L2TP using separate DHCP server

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:31 am

I'm trying to get L2TP to use IP addresses from a DHCP server behind the MikroTik. The L2TP connections come in and successfully authenticate against the Radius server, then are disconnected with "no network protocols running". I'm sure this is because an IP isn't getting assigned since I don't have a pool set up.

How would I tell the MikroTik to use the DHCP server behind the MikroTik to assign an IP to the incoming connections? I tried using a DHCP relay but that didn't change the result.

Any help is appreciated...
Inside the PPP Profile, you tell it the pool to use.

iprob
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:07 pm

That would be if I were using the MikroTik for DHCP, but I'm not. Does the DHCP have to come from the router? Can't it just forward the request to my existing DHCP server and get an IP from it?

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:45 pm

That would be if I were using the MikroTik for DHCP, but I'm not. Does the DHCP have to come from the router? Can't it just forward the request to my existing DHCP server and get an IP from it?
The PPP server gives an IP address to the ppp client, not the dhcp server. You can leave the dhcp server turned off computely and ppp would still give out addresses. This address handout is not DHCP. This is a part of the PPP standard.

Now, with some imagination.... you could use an external RADIUS server to hand out IP addresses to ppp clients. If you are clever enough to make your external radius server somehow read ip addresses from your external dhcp server... then you might could do what you are asking... but it would be some programming you would have to do outside of the scope of this mikrotik forum.

iprob
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 pm

The answer to this question is that the PPP connection can't get an IP address like it would from RRAS in Windows (which is what we're replacing). So instead, here is what I did.

1. Create a pool on the MikroTik router since this is the only way to get IP's assigned to the inbound connections
2. The IP pool on the MikroTik was a subset of the IP's in the DHCP server's scope
3. Excluded the MikroTik pool range on the DHCP server's scope
4. Put the bridge interface (our internal connection on the router) in proxy-arp mode. This allows the traffic to communicate after getting the IP from the MikroTik pool.

We'll probably eventually move DHCP and DNS to the MikroTik which will make this all much easier.