Community discussions

MikroTik App

mixig
Topic Author

softphone traffic prioritize

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi,

i have few softphones. Each softphone has his own sip account from internet voip provider. we need to prioritize voip traffic in both directions (from softphones to provider sip server and from provider sip server to the softphones). What is the easiest and best way to accomplish this?

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: softphone traffic prioritize

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:31 pm

From you -> provider If you're using windows:
-Mark the packets for the softphone application with a DSCP marking (windows QoS scheduler policy). This can be done via group policy or local computer Policy.

Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Policy Based QoS -> <insert policy, specify executable and relevant TCP/UDP ports as required and specify DSCP value>

-Create mangle rules in ROS to mark the packets with the DSCP tag set in the policy

-Create appropriate queues.

From Provider -> you
If DSCP is available, mark on that if not, use the providers IP address

-Create queue.

mixig
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi,

can you provide me config of mangle and queue? Instead of DSCP can i prirotize traffic from me to our provider based on dst address? Like for the incoming traffic (src traffic), srd/dst is provider address

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Hmmmm, there's many ways. its a common discussion amongst mikrotik ppl

wiki article is here with some methods: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Voip

and then the forum discussion: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62958

mixig
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm

One more question,

if i do mangling, and after queue tree WITHOUT MAX-LIMIT and LIMIT-AT will my mark traffic be prioritize? Janis Megis said in his presentation that if there is no that two thing configured priritize will not work because MKT is not doing prioritize, it must know what is the bandwith limit so that it can drop traffic with lower priority, otherwise there is no any action.

mixig
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi again,

i did something, can someone check my config to see if this is ok?

ether1=LAN
ether2=WAN
x.x.x.x ip address of sip voip provider

The goal is to reserve at least 500kbps for voip traffic (for about 5 simultaneous calls) from client to provider and vise versa. Will this code do the trick? If not please provide the correct one.

Client softphone are marking sip and rtp with DSCP 40 so i mark that traffic with dscp value in mangle and traffic from other direction i marked with source ip (voip provider ip address).
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="" disabled=no dscp=40 in-interface=ether1 new-connection-mark=conn_voip_lan passthrough=yes
add action=mark-packet chain=prerouting comment="" connection-mark=voip disabled=no new-packet-mark=packet_voip_lan passthrough=no
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="" disabled=no in-interface=ether2 new-connection-mark=conn_voip_wan passthrough=yes src-address=x.x.x.x
add action=mark-packet chain=prerouting comment="" connection-mark=conn_voip_wan disabled=no new-packet-mark=packet_voip_wan passthrough=no

/queue tree
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no limit-at=500k max-limit=1024k name=client_voip packet-mark=packet_voip_lan parent=global-in priority=5 queue=default
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no limit-at=500k max-limit=1024k name=provider_voip packet-mark=packet_voip_wan parent=global-in priority=5 queue=default

mixig
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:13 pm

I tried my setup but it seems that it`s not working, please help