MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

time server problems

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:08 am

ROS5.20

After cloning one rb1000 into another on the new one suddenly the time wasn't updated anymore.....??
I don't know why but time request from either routers on my lan querying on the internet wasn't working nor the main gateway itself could get its time updated.
I disable all possible firewall filter rules (so all at once) but still nothing, although the filter and the torch tool is counting the traffic (udp port 123)

After long fiddling I found that the resolve basic window (from my PC) timeserver suddenly did work! With all my firewall rules enabled. So, suddenly all my 4 different timeserver I used for year don't work no more? Strange.

But, any router behind my main gateway that is querying my main gateway (with ntp package enable) can't get their clocks updated from my main gateway. I tried all possible setting on both the main gateways' ntp server settings as the sntp settings of the client.
Yet again all incoming firewall rules disabled in the main gateway but still nothing.
Message produced is "server-not-synchronisez" where the main router itself shows "synchronized". So I don't know anymore.

Each time when I copy or upgrade my main gateway (and don't change anything in the config!) I seem to have problems getting the time server package to work! :(

Since not any setting works, can somebody tell me what is the preferred setting of the server in the main gateway, and the client setting on each client querying this main router?

regardtv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: time server problems

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:20 pm

On your windows PC - do a wireshark/tcpdump.

I suspect the same problem as what we are seeing with the SNMP on 5.20.....

Example:
Lets say your client is 192.168.1.20 and router has multiple IPs [192.168.1.1(LAN) ; 10.10.10.10(WAN)]. Client send NTP req to router. Router responds but doesn't use 192.168.1.1 it instead uses WAN IP as source. Client therefore ignores it.

If this is the case, SRC NAT outgoing packets matching ntp port(123).

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: time server problems

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

ok, found one solution to part of the problem

Time server in rb has to be set to "Broadcast" and than also a broadcast address has to be set.
This info is in the manual, but if you don't know "what" address has to be set (because manual explanation is very limited) than you actually don't know what IP to use. (Special if you have a second problem, that the rb timeserver itself is not synch'd!)

So, my clients do now query and synch with the main gateway.

Problem left is that the main gateway only gets synch with the MS-Windows default time servers. ("time.windows.com" and "time.nist.gov"). The time servers I used for many years can't be used any longer? Very weird.... (159.148.60.2, 93.92.239.129)

So, I am going to use the time servers of windows to get my main gateway clock in synch. But since rb still can't use url's in scripts etc. I made a script to resolve these time servers into IP's.

But now I run into a new problem, see my post in the scripting part of this forum:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 56#p337456