Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Weird initial boot of rb711-5HnD boards

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:14 am

Why is it that these boards first time don't boot when connect via PoE to switch?
Groove's don't have that issue..

When I boot the boards for the first time they won't boot until I remove the cable between switch and powershot. Than after the 'beep-tjjirp' I can put the cable back and everything is normal.
This happens on all 40 or so rb711's I initiated the last weeks.

A groove on the same cable and setup does not need to be disconnected. It just 'beep-trjirps? and boots up with default config.

Anybody any clue? MT?

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Weird initial boot of rb711-5HnD boards

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:25 am

If it beeps (correction per below post by Normis: I mean when it beep-beeps not beep-jrrps) - it is running, if its brand new - it has default config which should be working. Therefore, ff no connection after beep - cabling / Ethernet issue that usually is solved by reconnecting Ethernet port.

It could be initial power draw is higher and causing such thing to happen but I can not confirm it just from your pleasantly dramatic story here :)
Last edited by NetworkPro on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 am

Not sure why you have that, but wanted to clarify that 'beep-trjirp' is the sound of Flashfig starting. If flashfig server not detected, it will boot normally.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:35 pm

'flashfig starting'? What is that?

Anyway, its even more strange:
When I 'hard' reset (screwdriver) a configured and normally working rb711 I have had some boards were again I had to remove the cable from the switch port (just a normal netgear switch which connects all my PC's, and wireless laptops etc to my office network) to make it boot. If not it just beeps once, all lights go on and the Ethernet lights just flash once where the Ethernet light of the switch are flashing fast... and nothing more happens.
The moment I remove the cable from the switch, the light on the board die and than start to flash or lit the way they normally do when the boards boots up normally. But first I get the brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeep sound.

It already becomes a habit now to remove the cable and it doesn't harm the rest of my work, afterwards they work fine (if they do..., but that's another story.). It just struck me this weekend a Groove doesn't have similar event, or and other 'not-rb711xx' board.

Since I am still convinced something is wrong with some Etherports on some boards (series of) I thought it might have something to do with it.

One other strange event:

Lately I had some boards that stopped to be accessible through the Ethernet port. In winbox it sometimes showed its mac and IP after many minutes waiting but still I couldn't reach it. Not by mac nor IP. (But the laptop was getting an IP from the build-in dhcp-server sometimes after many minutes too!)
After a 'hard reset' (screwdriver) the board came up with the above explaind bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeep, and booted normally, was configurable through the Ethernet port like nothing was ever wrong...

95% of problems I have with these boards are Ethernet port related.....
(That still leaves the 'port flap' issue in place...)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:47 pm