Community discussions

MikroTik App

Doogs
just joined
Topic Author

RB1200 Upgrade Concerns - Lost Configuration??

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Hey Guys,

I have a RB1200 running 5.11 and I need to upgrade it to the latest(5.21). I falsely assumed when I received the RB1200 it would have the latest firmware and I didn't realize it wasn't the latest until it was already in production. I'm a MT noob - sorry. *facepalm*

The MT wiki states you might lose parts of your configuration during an upgrade if there have been severe changes between the versions. But the Wiki doesn't do a well enough job explaining it (alteast of what I could find). I'm using the box as a Layer 2 bridge firewall and I could rebuild the rule set no problem due to my 3-5 backups. I'm more concerned about losing it's management I.P. address, thus preventing me from getting into it to fix anything after the upgrade.

Concerns:

Has anyone performed the upgrade I'm attempting to do? How was the outcome?
Do upgrades fail for any reason other than people not checking MD5 hashes?
Any other concerns anyone can think of? Trying to get this thing upgrade remotely since it's 2 hours away from me. Thoughts? Anyone have upgrade war stories because I'd like to hear them.

Thanks,
Doogs

djdrastic

Re: RB1200 Upgrade Concerns - Lost Configuration??

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Have luckily been spared any upgrade failure blues but I would highly recommend testing the upgrade and fw config on a test router if you have one.Upgraded most of my new routers I get from 5.08 to 5.20 without any problem.

Copy the image to the router with a reliable protocol (sftp/ftp) and make sure power to the unit is reliable . Schedule upgrade in such a time that you can fix/replace the unit if poop hits the fan. Testing,Backing up configuration , having a spare device , and proper scheduling are important to do these things right.