Community discussions

MikroTik App

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Need Advice on Network

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi guys, since I started with mikrotik which was few weeks ago, I learned much, after reading and watching hours of Mikrotik webinars and tutorials.
But somehow I'm unable to set my network the way I want it, theoretically it must work, but it does not.
So I'll try to make it as simple as possible and I hope you guys understand and can help or advice me with this.

I have a network with computers, voip phones, IPTV, and server.
Im Using Mikrotik Routerboard : RB751U-2HnD
My ISP is as default on fisycal port 1, with static IP with 50 mb up and down.
On the local side I have bridged 4 lan ports with NO DHCP enabled, net 192.168.1.0/24
I have DHCP disabled because My Win Server is DC, DHCP and DNS for all computers and voip now.
I have separated my VOIP part of the network fisicaly, so I have 2 switches one is used only for VOIP phones,
other one is general for the rest of the network pc's.
I also have 1 IPTV settop box. and 1 PC which is more important than all others so the IP tv is on Routers local lan port 3, and the Important pc is on lan port 4.

Now by default what happens now is that as soon I connect all to the router all get DHCP 192.168.1.x from the Win Server,
this works well.
Not to forget, the brigde interface is still enabled on the router. as by default setup.

What I want to do is set DHCP and separated subnet on the port that goes to VOIP switch, so the VOIP phones will get different IP : 192.168.2.x for example. I want to do this to separate the port, and be able to control all for voip by port, prioritize etc.., and to make sure that voip does not depend on Win Server.

Now the problem part.

my steps :

1. IP > Adresses , create adresses for the voip port : 192.168.2.0/24
2. IP > DHCP > DHCP Setup, then create a dhcp on 3port local port2 with 192.168.2.2-192.168.2.254
3. Interfaces> ether3-slave-local> change masterport from ether2-master-local to none
Here's where it goes wrong, after I do this all, my voip phones are unable to get IP adress from DHCP.
what did I do wrong ?

Also any advice on how I can make this setup better ? maybe the whole plan that I want to set is wrong ?
any idea's suggestions are welcome.
what I want to achive is proffesional prioritization for the voip / pc/ etc... sothat I have full control.

any help /advice appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need Advice on Network

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:56 pm

What is really your IP address on Ether3? 192.168.2.0/24 is going to be your network IP, and usually cannot be used by a router and expect things to work. Also what are your DHCP settings for that network?

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:20 pm

The ether3 I want to give : 192.168.2.1 (gateway ) and DHCP range: 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254

by default is dhcp disabled on this router, because of the dhcp on my win server, so that's why I want to separate this port, enslave it, and run a dhcp on it.

I dont really care about the separated IP adressing, I mean the subnet 192.168.2.x I set it because I think that it wouldnot be possible to use 192.168.1.1 (default) on this
enslaved port with dhcp ? maybe I'm wrong ? If it is possible to use than that one is ok too, but I dont know how then.

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

this forum can be a pain in the ass sometimes... :(

as soon as I ask something serious or difficult, no reactions.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:37 pm

The ether3 I want to give : 192.168.2.1 (gateway ) and DHCP range: 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254
1 - Remove ether3 from the bridge
2 - Add the address 192.168.2.254/24 (or whatever you want) to ether3
3 - Set up a DHCP server on ether3 (click on the button and follow the prompts)
4 - Ensure your VoIP switch is plugged into ether3 only
5 - Reboot your VoIP handsets.

et voila, it should work. Unless, of course, I'm completely misunderstanding your problem.

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:46 pm

the first point : 1 - Remove ether3 from the bridge

that's done by setting the master port to none ? right ? or is there another way ?

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Bridge and the switch chip/master port are two completely separate things. The bridge uses software to make a layer2 interface, and a switch chip uses hardware to make a layer2 interface. So depending on what steps you took and setup and current configuration, setting master port to none may or may not accomplish what you want, and without being given enough/accurate information it is difficult to provide help. You also didn't supply things like your IP address (/ip address print detail) or your DHCP settings (/ip dhchp-server export) so that someone could actually see what you have configured/set.

I'm not trying to sound rude in this, I'm just trying to say a description of what you have tried and done is all well and good and can get someone up to speed, but giving hard accurate information about your current setup in the way of current settings in the router is just as vital, if not more so.

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Bridge and the switch chip/master port are two completely separate things. The bridge uses software to make a layer2 interface, and a switch chip uses hardware to make a layer2 interface. So depending on what steps you took and setup and current configuration, setting master port to none may or may not accomplish what you want, and without being given enough/accurate information it is difficult to provide help. You also didn't supply things like your IP address (/ip address print detail) or your DHCP settings (/ip dhchp-server export) so that someone could actually see what you have configured/set.

I'm not trying to sound rude in this, I'm just trying to say a description of what you have tried and done is all well and good and can get someone up to speed, but giving hard accurate information about your current setup in the way of current settings in the router is just as vital, if not more so.

I thank you for your help, I dont think of it as rude, I will give all info asap, I'm now far from the router, will login later and copy the config.

thanks again.

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Ok, now I have made a copy of the config, I'll put it in a text file as attachment, funny thing is, this time I used to copy my config from my production router by the export command and imported it in the test router by import and although some settings were lost, such as password for acces, ppp users, etc... but this time when I changed the master port to none, gived the Interface an IP and created a DHCP it worked fine. So I gues the problems were created because of us of backup restore option, which makes some errors ? Im not sure, for now I'm going to test this further, please check my config and see if you can tell me more.

thanks allot for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 pm

From the config you uploaded:
/interface ethernet
set 0 arp=enabled auto-negotiation=yes comment=ISP-Internet disabled=no full-duplex=yes l2mtu=1600 mac-address=D4:CA:6D:55:C5:34 mtu=1500 name=ether1-gateway \
    speed=100Mbps
set 1 arp=enabled auto-negotiation=yes bandwidth=unlimited/unlimited comment=Main-Switch disabled=no full-duplex=yes l2mtu=1598 mac-address=D4:CA:6D:55:C5:35 \
    master-port=none mtu=1500 name=ether2-master-local speed=100Mbps
set 2 arp=enabled auto-negotiation=yes bandwidth=unlimited/unlimited comment=Voip-Switch disabled=no full-duplex=yes l2mtu=1598 mac-address=D4:CA:6D:55:C5:36 \
    master-port=ether2-master-local mtu=1500 name=ether3-slave-local speed=100Mbps
set 3 arp=enabled auto-negotiation=yes bandwidth=unlimited/unlimited comment=Shanieta-PC disabled=no full-duplex=yes l2mtu=1598 mac-address=D4:CA:6D:55:C5:37 \
    master-port=ether2-master-local mtu=1500 name=ether4-slave-local speed=100Mbps
set 4 arp=enabled auto-negotiation=yes bandwidth=unlimited/unlimited comment=IPTV disabled=no full-duplex=yes l2mtu=1598 mac-address=D4:CA:6D:55:C5:38 \
    master-port=ether2-master-local mtu=1500 name=ether5-slave-local speed=100Mbps
Ether 3,4 & 5 are all slaves to Ether 2. (Set 1 through Set 4)

I don't see a DHCP server either..................

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Yes, true, this one is the router config that I use now, this one is not yet configured in the way I want it to, I was testing the config on other router and it didnot work in first test. because you said to take off from bridge is not alwaysa same, that's why I showed my config, sothat you can see if the solution is to change the master port to none.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Yes you would need to remove the master setting on Ether 3 and attach the DHCP server to the Ether 3 interface.

turalo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Ok, an update on this,

I made the changes just now, on my production router, and all works well, as described and planned above.
it seems that it needs time to work, I expected it to work directly, but I guess it needed 3-5 minutes to start giving DHCP IP addresses etc...

But now as planned I have separated my VOIP network by different subnets and it works as I wanted.
Now I have to find out how to make sure I can access devices across this 2 subnets.
and then start prioritizing... wish me luck :)

and thanks for helping.