Community discussions

MikroTik App

Rivera
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VRRP for home, DHCP, VLAN and etc. Need some help.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Hello there.
Due to my RB493G sometimes goes down, and i'm often not at home but still needing access to my homenet (lab, music, etc), i decided to setup fallback router. Now, for technical details.
---
provider cable plugged in managed switch (netgear GS110TP), using VLAN 1000 for trunking my provider connection to router. On router i have vlan1000 interface (under eth2 where is switch plugged) which receives DHCP from provider (this is needed - i can't just bind static IP due to how ISP perform auth - by DHCP). This scheme works on RB493G (will refer it as "master" next) - my primary router.
Second, fallback router. I have pretty powerful ESXi lab. Created x86-based ROS machine, configured one vPort to LAN (eth1), one vPort as "vlan bypass", using VLAN #4095 (this out-of-range VLAN used by ESXi to bypass all vlan data to VM, so i can setup all vlans inside VM and not on hypervisor side). This is eth2. This router will be referred as "slave".
Setting VLAN interface under eth2 with VLAN #1000 gives me DHCP lease from provider. Pings and etc comes and goes. All good?
---
Next, for VRRP. I setup VRRP on my bridge interface on master, and on eth1 on slave. When i got master down i was still able to manage my VMWare machines. So i assume it's working. Can't test it now, but i can see VRRP interface on master running as "master", and VRRP on slave running as "backup". Btw, VRRP is sharing 192.168.69.1 IP, my network is 192.168.69.0/24. Will test more when i get home.
---
And now questions come.
Due to DHCP, how i should setup HA? Should i put another VRRP on that VLAN interface on both routers, putting DHCP on it?
I plan to sync firewall, dhcp and ipv6 settings. Am i missing something essential?
My goal is to got fallback router which can overtake main ISP channel and allow me to connect to my homenet even if main router down.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for great community and great devs (hey, btw, when we see OpenVPN UDP?). One of my first questions was how to setup masquerade. That time i knew nothing about networks except static routes and a bit of how tcp and udp differs. Now i'm able to setup a bit more than typical lan :)

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: VRRP for home, DHCP, VLAN and etc. Need some help.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:33 pm

For your DHCP Server Don't sync it... Setup reach router with a different IP pool to eliminate the chance of getting duplicates.