Community discussions

MikroTik App

evgeniygold
just joined
Topic Author

Configuration Transfer

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi, I'm pretty newbie to Mikrotik.
How can I transfer the configuration (pretty big and complicated) from RB1000 ver.4.5 to RB1200 ver.5.X ?

When I just restore its backup I get 16 ethernet interfaces (there are 10 actually).

Is there is a proper, confirmed way to transfer the configuration from different versions and devices?

Thanks!

c0d3rSh3ll
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Configuration Transfer

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:26 am

first upgrade the routerboards software to last version, and use

/export compact

evgeniygold
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:42 am

I can't just upgrade a production router without testing it first, that's why I need to transfer the settings from the current version.

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:38 pm

1. Downgrade the new v5.x router to v4.5 to match the current production router.

2. Export config from v4.5 production router. Since the "compact" option doesn't exist in v4, you will have to do a full /export. In the terminal, do:
/export file=myBackup
3. Copy the new myBackup.rsc file to your computer. Open with a text editor and edit / modify as necessary.

* NOTE *
All router MAC addresses are also exported to the config file. If this config file is applied directly to another router, its MAC addresses will be changed. To remove all specific MAC addresses from the config, search and remove the "mac-address=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" entries for ethernet and wireless interfaces (there may be other entries you want to keep such as firewall rules or whatever). Milliscript is also useful for removing MAC addresses.
remove mac addresses.gif
4. When you are finished editing, copy / paste the config into the new router's terminal, -or- copy the file to the new router and do:
/import myBackup.rsc
I usually prefer copy / paste because any import errors are easier to find and troubleshoot.

5. After the script has been successfully imported and you are satisfied with the new configuration, upgrade the router.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

evgeniygold
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks for a good explanation.

The only problem is that RB1200 does not support 4.5... I tried to install it anyway, but the device becomes unavailable.

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

The only problem is that RB1200 does not support 4.5... I tried to install it anyway, but the device becomes unavailable.
I searched the forums, and from MikroTik staff, it is confirmed that the RB1200 works on v5+, but not v4: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=58131. I was unaware of this, sorry for the mistake.

So, in that case I would still go through the same steps and export the current v4 script to a file. After editing, then copy / paste each section, one at a time into the new v5 router, each section being the ones that start with a forward slash: the /interface ethernet block, the /ip address block, etc...

Then you can easily spot errors and verify each section has been applied correctly.

evgeniygold
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 pm

I'll give it a try, thanks!

evgeniygold
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Sorry for long pause - was busy.

I trying to adjust configuration from ver 4.5 to 5.15 - there are a lot of parameters that have changed :)

Found strange thing:
Every client configured as different VLAN. There is a simple queue for every VLAN. In addition, there is a interface queue for every physical port and for every VLAN as well! simple queue is sfq and interface is pfifo.

When trying to run a command /queue interface set vlan_00 queue=default on ver 5.15 it says no such item. On 4.5 it works.

I'm not sure about the whole idea behind creating an interface queue for each VLAN. May be i should just ignore it and delete from exported configuration?

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 pm

When trying to run a command /queue interface set vlan_00 queue=default on ver 5.15 it says no such item. On 4.5 it works.
If the vlan is on ether1, for example, I think you would change ether1 instead:
/queue interface set ether1 queue=default
I'm not sure about the whole idea behind creating an interface queue for each VLAN. May be i should just ignore it and delete from exported configuration?
I don't know about this one...

evgeniygold
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Could you tell me the order queues are being processed and how their properties combines? Kind of resultant set of policy.

I have: simple queue on VLAN, interface queue on VLAN and interface queue on physical interface.

Simple queue is sfq and interface queues are pfifo.

So what do I get in the end?