Community discussions

MikroTik App

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Better AAA Radius Solution

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm currently looking for a better and more automated system to handle AAA and Radius for Hotspot-like systems.
I know there are plenty of solutions out there, but it seems difficult to find one that can do "everything" and make my life easier. We currently use Radius Manager which I know alot of people in the Mikrotik community use. I like it, but there are issues and management takes place in too many places, like on RM and then alot of management on the router. I would like for management to take place only on the Radius Server or AAA system, and that way the router is never touched.

This is what we are looking for:
-Transparency between different installation mediums - using wifi, dsl, or ethernet internet solutions. Meaning it will work the same no matter how we deliver the internet.
-We would like for a central managed system to manage accounts and keep track of support issues.
-We would like to limit bandwidth for all users regardless of the technology they use (wifi, dsl, ethernet). For Example, if you use Mikrotik Hotspot, and a wireless user logins to the hotspot, each time they login they are dedicated a simple queue of X mbps. We need to limit their speed based on account only. I think the issue is to completely step away from using Hotspot and have a solution that authenticate and manages the user outside of the router.
-We would like for each user to have to register for an account with a special password. They would connect to the first time, type their Name, Email, maybe address, and a password to create their account, plus a token given to them for registration.

That's about it. The ideal thing to have would be one system to manage all, which collects information from new customers, and gives them access based on token or key code.

Any Suggestions? :D

Dobby

Re: Better AAA Radius Solution

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:12 am

Deleted because not related.
Last edited by Dobby on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Better AAA Radius Solution

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 am

Thanks for the reply, but that's not quite what we are looking for due to the many limitations of the ISS6000 and the fact that it needs to be setup everywhere you have a router which is alot of places since we operate at many apartments, each which has a router.
We would rather everything to be managed by a Radius server, but accommodate each of the settings we are looking to use:
This is what we are looking for:
-Transparency between different installation mediums - using wifi, dsl, or ethernet internet solutions. Meaning it will work the same no matter how we deliver the internet.
-We would like for a central managed system to manage accounts and keep track of support issues.
-We would like to limit bandwidth for all users regardless of the technology they use (wifi, dsl, ethernet). For Example, if you use Mikrotik Hotspot, and a wireless user logins to the hotspot, each time they login they are dedicated a simple queue of X mbps. We need to limit their speed based on account only. I think the issue is to completely step away from using Hotspot and have a solution that authenticate and manages the user outside of the router.
-We would like for each user to have to register for an account with a special password. They would connect to the first time, type their Name, Email, maybe address, and a password to create their account, plus a token given to them for registration.

Anyone else have suggestions? Thanks.