Community discussions

MikroTik App

popcorrin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

2 routers at my core

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:26 pm

I currently have 1 router at my core fed from one provider. I'm thinking of running 2 routers at my core fed from 2 separate providers for redundancy and higher capacity.

I'm looking for opinions on this and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on the best way to go about setting this up.

Thanks

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: 2 routers at my core

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Are you wanting to run a provider to each router or both providers to both routers?

popcorrin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Are you wanting to run a provider to each router or both providers to both routers?
A provider to each router I suppose is the only way since I'm pretty sure they each will only give me a single circuit.

jaduke
just joined

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm

A provider to each router I suppose is the only way since I'm pretty sure they each will only give me a single circuit.
If you setup the routers with VRRP (aka failover), you can place a switch (can be a single switch) in between your provider's handoff (from cable or DSL modem e.g. ethernet) and each router. When router A fails, router B just simply picks up (via VRRP) and keeps everything humming.

Read the documentation for more detail, but I've done a setup like this (not with RouterOS) and it worked well.

If you have any more questions regarding VRRP, let me know.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

popcorrin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:30 am

If you setup the routers with VRRP (aka failover), you can place a switch (can be a single switch) in between your provider's handoff (from cable or DSL modem e.g. ethernet) and each router. When router A fails, router B just simply picks up (via VRRP) and keeps everything humming.

Read the documentation for more detail, but I've done a setup like this (not with RouterOS) and it worked well.

If you have any more questions regarding VRRP, let me know.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon
Seems like that would be just adding another point of failure?