Community discussions

MikroTik App

ANPres
just joined
Topic Author

Suggestions For DNS?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 am

I've been using "Networks" to set my DNS, Gateway, ect.. for my clients to connect.

Just recently I pulled up "IP DNS" and noticed 192.168.0.1 as DNS server. I cleared it but it got me reading up on the subject.. (BTW, don't know HOW that happened.. this was a new router out of the box, which I had restored a backup to.)

So, rather than run the standard google dns, do I gain anything by setting up a static DNS, ect..?
Do speeds really increase if I store dns locally? (I understand the security risks and will make the appropriate changes to my firewall.)

Thanks much.

jspool

Re: Suggestions For DNS?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 am

Hello, from performance perspective I have never seen any noticeable boost in having the Mikrotik act as the DNS server. I tested it vs using our normal name servers and then I used Opendns and Google DNS and I don't think anyone could ever tell the difference unless your network is saturated and you need to conserve every bit of bandwidth. In that case more could probably be gained by using X86 Mikrotik and a high speed SATA drive and use web proxy and use it as a cache server.

Regards,
Josh