kosztyua
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

sstp/pptp stops working frequently

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi,

Sent this to support, posting here too:

I've been running ovpn, pptp and sstp servers for a while now, using 5.22 since it was released. Recently on one of the servers sstp stops working after a while: it does not accept new connections, but the ones made earlier work fine. I have to restart the sstp server every few hours. The only thing changed in the last month was changing to a new radius server, accessed through ovpn instead of directly. Please recommend a solution or fix it.

And today updated it with: it's not only sstp but pptp as well

Please help me fix this.

Thanks,
Andras

kosztyua
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: sstp/pptp stops working frequently

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:31 pm

PPTP is giving error 807. After restarting the daemon it works fine.

Also, as I actively monitor when it goes bad, it seems it cannot hold for more than a few minutes.

DESPERATELY NEED HELP, my customers are constantly nagging - rightfully.

kosztyua
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

OK I have removed the new radius and added back the original one and for one hour it has been working fine. BUT WHY?
I mean earlier when it stopped working, pptp went to error 807, it didnt even send radius requests, it refused earlier.
Also, if this solves the problem, there is a new one: i really dont feel well having cleartext passwords flowing in the wild nets.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Do any RADIUS packets arrive at the RADIUS server when they are sent via the OVPN tunnel? If so, do they arrive with a source address that the RADIUS server is expecting? Or are they instead sourced from the OVPN tunnel end-point IP on the MikroTik? You may need to set the src-address for the RADIUS server definition on the MikroTik.

It is possible that the MikroTik tries RADIUS authentication a few times. The RADIUS server refused to reply to the requests because it doesn't recognize the src-address . The MikroTik then declares the RADIUS server dead. The MikroTik could then decline to send any more radius requests to that server for some amount of time.

I am not intimately knowledgeable about MikroTiks's RADIUS implementation. I am only hypothesizing here.

kosztyua
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:36 am

Thank you for the reply!

Yes ofc I set the source address for radius, I dont want cleartext passwords flying in the air :) And most of the time, also after restarting the pptp/sstp daemon, it is working fine.
However, the later might be true anyway (radius server is now in cloud, maybe it slows down from time to time and timeouts), so I reset the stats and see what happens.

kosztyua
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm

bump

Problem still not solved. Awaiting answer from support too, seems they went the wrong way as they asked me last time the radius version I use. The problem is not with radius, as OVPN continues working fine, only PPTP and SSTP stops working, the daemon itself on the 'tik.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 pm

could you please test RouterOS v6rc9? We have made some changes and improvements in v6 that could help.

kosztyua
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 am

Upgraded the affected router to ros 6rc9 earlier today, so far it is holding up, will keep testing. Thank you!

jaytcsd

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 pm

kosztyua - Are you using the windows 7 sstp connection from a PC or MikroTik to MikroTik?
I have not found a working example for a windows 7 client.